General Car Mats for my new 500!

Currently reading:
General Car Mats for my new 500!

[FONT=&quot]To conclude, avoid buying your fitted car mats from the car dealers. They charge an excessive price. You are better off buying fitted car mats, from a company which specializes in making them.[/FONT]

Or buy rubber mats which will be even better

But ugly. :p
Yes but in the winter they can save your 'best' mats : )
Best quality mats I've seen are the 'best' Halfords ones. They do two grades.
My daughter has a set and they are much much better quality than the OEM 500 mats I have.
If only they had a little Italian flag tab sewn on the edge ; )

I remember buying a set of vey high quality mats discounted from a car accessory shop. After a few weeks I weighted them and compared with the poor quality light OEM tailor fit mats the difference was 10 kilos !
So I cleaned up the OEM mats, bought a cheap thin €1 rubber mat for the drivers to stretch the remaining life out of them. I'm a bit of sucker for the tri-colour flag logo edged around the mats.

Based on the recommendations above, I bought some Halfords "Advanced " mats. They seem to be OK.

The driver's mat has a single "screw down" clip...which obviously seems to suggest that I should screw it into something. However, I can't see where it might go, and can't feel any obvious holes for it under the carpet. Any ideas?

Based on the recommendations above, I bought some Halfords "Advanced " mats. They seem to be OK.

The driver's mat has a single "screw down" clip...which obviously seems to suggest that I should screw it into something. However, I can't see where it might go, and can't feel any obvious holes for it under the carpet. Any ideas?

I remember doing myself in my old 500 & there was no hole under the carpet. I think you are only supposed to screw it into the carpet. I might be wrong though...

Thanks.

However, I think I'm going to return them. For £45 I expected better. They aren't that plush, and the fit isn't as tailored as I'd hoped.

Thanks.

However, I think I'm going to return them. For £45 I expected better. They aren't that plush, and the fit isn't as tailored as I'd hoped.

Halfords custom (premium quality) mars are the best I've come across in a long time.

Halfords custom (premium quality) mars are the best I've come across in a long time.

I took the Halfords ones back. The fit wasn't great - especially the front passenger side, where it didn't cover the plastic flooring.

I was intending to get the genuine Fiat mats, but having read the reviews here, they don't seem to be that good either!

Bit stuck now!

I took the Halfords ones back. The fit wasn't great - especially the front passenger side, where it didn't cover the plastic flooring.

I was intending to get the genuine Fiat mats, but having read the reviews here, they don't seem to be that good either!

Bit stuck now!

Did you but the standard multifit Halfords ones or the 'special order' custom fit versions? Did the driver mat have a fixing point on the back edge in the centre?

Did you but the standard multifit Halfords ones or the 'special order' custom fit versions? Did the driver mat have a fixing point on the back edge in the centre?

They were definitely the special order (what a faff that was...) with the fixing as you describe.

Are the genuine Fiat ones really bad? The poster a few posts up seems to suggest they are almost fly away they are that light and flimsy.

They were definitely the special order (what a faff that was...) with the fixing as you describe.

Are the genuine Fiat ones really bad? The poster a few posts up seems to suggest they are almost fly away they are that light and flimsy.

Fiat ones are ok, just very thin for the money. I cut the Velcro off them too as it makes the carpet go fuzzy.

In my experience without the velcro they go wandering all over the place.

The fiat ones are thin, but quite durable. After three years of daily use on the school run with 2 kids, mine were good as new, if a little dirty.

In my experience without the velcro they go wandering all over the place.

The fiat ones are thin, but quite durable. After three years of daily use on the school run with 2 kids, mine were good as new, if a little dirty.

After I cut the Velcro off I put an 'anti slip' rubber waffley thing under the mats They don't move : )
My driver mat has a hole in it now @ 25k miles. They work well enough, and look good they just 'feel' cheap.

I have rubber Michelin ones, very durable and don't slide all over the place. There's also the advantage of the sensuous touch of rubber

I feel a "winter floor mat" thread coming on. When we got our Golf second hand from the dealer it came with proper Golf carpets, which I have to say are about a billion times better than the Fiat ones. But we also got £100 of VW vouchers for accessories, and I used some of it to purchase proper VW rubber mats for the winter.

455555.JPG

Very nice.

I got my Fiat ones from the Fiat Dealer for like 15 Euros for a set of 4! They seem good enough if I replace them once every 2 years that's good enough for me, shame though as the rear mats are new and the passenger one also quite new, its the drivers matt that gets the most torture but you cannot buy only the drivers mat to replace, you have to buy all 4!

Back