Button is world champion!

Currently reading:
Button is world champion!

Worlds luckiest man?

How have you come to that conclusion? He won the races he needed to early on, not been brilliant recently but good world champions are ones that do what they need to do. Didnt win today but look at his driving to get to the position he finished in. Some of his overtakes were great.

How have you come to that conclusion? He won the races he needed to early on, not been brilliant recently but good world champions are ones that do what they need to do. Didnt win today but look at his driving to get to the position he finished in. Some of his overtakes were great.

Yeah he is a great driver, probably among the best ever... but when he tailed off he had a fair bit of luck when his main rivals either had engine trouble or got in accidents when they could have overtaken him points wise. He had a fantastic drive today, probably his best yet, but if rubens hadn't got that puncture it wouldn't have been all over today. thats what i mean by LUCK

I went to my first Grand Prix in 1971.

While anyone who wins a Championship has gathered the points needed and therefore deserves that title, it has hardly been a championship second half to the season.

No win, few podiums, no decisive drives to speak of.

Schumaker, Senna, Lauda, Prost, Mansel, Hamilton, Stewart...these drivers drove the wheels off cars that on many occasions were not the best on the circuit.

The Buttons, Hills (Damon), Rosbergs, Andrettis' of world title fame luck into a good car at the right time.

Having said that.

He did what was needed and well done for that.

World Champion....Yes (y)
Great Driver......... Fraid Not (n)

I went to my first Grand Prix in 1971.

While anyone who wins a Championship has gathered the points needed and therefore deserves that title, it has hardly been a championship second half to the season.

No win, few podiums, no decisive drives to speak of.

Schumaker, Senna, Lauda, Prost, Mansel, Hamilton, Stewart...these drivers drove the wheels off cars that on many occasions were not the best on the circuit.

The Buttons, Hills (Damon), Rosbergs, Andrettis' of world title fame luck into a good car at the right time.

Having said that.

He did what was needed and well done for that.

World Champion....Yes (y)
Great Driver......... Fraid Not (n)

I think he is a great driver, remember this is the only time he's been in a competitive car. and IMO the red bulls are better cars which they proved in the 2nd half of the season.

with you on the rest tho !

Sorry, but you can not say he is not a great driver, especially after that race, he could of just given up and settled to do it in Abu Dhabi but he didnt, sure maybe not as good as the Sennas and Schumachers etc but still a very good driver.

Just think, he did such a good job at the start of the season he didnt need to continue it through the second half, yea it would of been better if he had but not many drivers can say that won the championship of the first half.

Thanks for the bringing the title home to Britain Jenson

I hope it looks superb on your mantlepiece in Monaco!

Thanks for the bringing the title home to Britain Jenson

I hope it looks superb on your mantlepiece in Monaco!
And I am sure that if you had a choice between W.Yorks and Monaco you would choose....W.Yorks? !
Jenson is a worthy champion - no doubt and I am on cloud 9 that he has won it. I also thought that Mansell was one of the best ever (although he did turn into a whining Brummie at times!) because he dragged the car in to race wins on many occasions. The problem is you can't easily compare drivers from different eras. Senna and Schumacher were also greats, but today they wouldn't win so often as they did becasue they would be forever getting drive through penalties ! Looking back some of their "defensive" moves were outrageous !
Just look how close the grid was at this race after practice. 0.9 seconds from front to back. So tiny margins in performance and tiny changes are enough to upset one of these modern cars.This can make the modern drivers look more one-dimensional than they deserve.
One of the reasons today's race was great entertainement was because of the mixed up settings caused by Saturday's rain-affected qualy. Some cars were set up with one eye on it being wet, whereas some gambled on a dry set up. Hence Lewis managed to get from 18th to 3rd.

Yep and Alonso in a Ferrari (y)
Don't worry about those 2.
By the 3rd race of the season it will be like the bad old days at the Scuderia . Massa will be complaining about Alonso and Alonso will be moaning that MAssa is the team's favourite. He is used to being undisputed top dog.
In the background the FIA will be wondering if perhaps Alonso did know about the Singapore crash that never was all along....
Meanwhile, Kimi will be laughing all the way to the bank. I am surprised he hasn't pushed for a seat with Red Bull so that he could have something free of charge to put in his Vodka !

Back