P1000133small.jpg

Panda (Classic) 1982 Panda 45

Introduction

I'm pretty sure most of the Panda section regulars will know this car, but I thought I would post a few photos of the latest edition to my fleet.

P10003703.JPG

P1000133small.jpg

It is a early 1982 Mk1 45, previously owned by forum member Cacciatore, and is possibly the second oldest Panda left in the UK. Unfortunately it has failed its MOT on a couple of bits of welding and a few other things, but I am very impressed at how solid it is especially for a 30 year old Fiat!

We picked it up last night and I was a bit worried it wasn't going to fit on our trailer! Luckily it did, just!
photo_25.JPG

photo_32.JPG

The plan is to do the MOT jobs over the winter once my Sisley is finished and then get it on the road in the spring and do a rolling restoration.
More photos, I've finished welding in the front panel section on the drivers side, done the same to the passenger side and also a small hole in the middle, I've also repaired the hole in the drivers side door jamb/sill and I've now started to paint everything. The front panel is in primer, which is surprisingly close to the colour of the car!

I've not updated for while, been too busy working on the Panda, did remember to take some photos though(y)

I've stripped the suspension, de-rusted with Deox-C and then painted with black epoxy mastic.

Yes, those are the original 31 year old brake disc guards:eek: Infact all of the suspension appears to be original and is all still perfect, apart from two balljoint gaiters (damaged by the person who changed one of the wheel bearings it seems(n)) and both shock absorber protectors.
Its now all back together but no photos of that, looks good with the freshly painted inner arches though(rears done also)

Also took out the fuel tank as it was looking abit sad, all cleaned up ok though and was given a coat of Hydrate 80, zinc primer and then stonechip. Think I will give it a coat of the hurricane grey I used in the inner arches to finish it off as I have some left.

Unfortunately the filler pipe is not so good, the breather has gone rotten and snapped off, hopefully it can be repaired as I don't think I'll find a new one in a hurry.

Today I have finished painting the sills, which I am very pleased with

I have also done a 'blow in' on the the front arch as there was some surface rust, turned out pretty good I think, the colour match is spot on.

Should hopefully be ready for an MOT in the next couple of weeks, depending on the filler pipe and how long it takes me to fix the hazard lights. Can't wait to finally drive it properly:D

My thought was to remove the bit that has snapped off back at the main pipe and get a new 180 degree bend that can be brazed in. I'm waiting for my Uncle to come back from holiday to do it for me though as I've never done any brazing, I think the metal might be abit thin to weld:(

Superb work there Freddy. :worship:

Loving the use of all those Bilt Hamber products too. (y)

I've been using Hydrate 80 for a while but its the first time I've used Deox-C, its impressive stuff, but I think I needed a stronger mix as it seemed to be used up before it could get rid of all of the rust, as you can see in the photos there was still abit left in the corners and pits.

Anyway over the weekend I filled the car with Dinitrol cavity wax (and the floor and myself:eek:) and sprayed the underside with their underbody wax. The new sill will not be going rusty for a long time, with the car sitting in the sun today it all started dripping out, so I know it will find its way into all the nooks and crannies.

Had a look at the non functioning hazards and indicators, realised that two of the fuses are missing because the tabs in the fusebox have broken off, one (for the horn) was shorted out with some wire and the other which is for the hazards has nothing at all, I shorted it out and the hazards and indicators work(y) however the indicator tell tale on the dash is permantly on and with the indicators on everything on the dash flashes:rolleyes: so that is tomorrows job.

So, the electrics are all sorted, a new flasher relay of the correct type cured the indicator issues, got the heated rear screen working which involved dismantling the switch and cleaning the contacts and I have also soldered some inline fuse holders to whats left of the terminals in the fuse box, I really need a new one but this will do for now, at least the circuits are protected.

I'm just waiting for the filler pipe now and then it will be MOT time!

Well we are now fully road legal:slayer: Went straight through the MOT at lunchtime, then it was straight to the post office for a tax disc. It drives really well, I just need to have a look at the gear linkage again as reverse is still hard to find, my previous attempt to pack out the bush on the bottom of the gear stick has not lasted long.

Well we are now fully road legal:slayer: Went straight through the MOT at lunchtime, then it was straight to the post office for a tax disc. It drives really well, I just need to have a look at the gear linkage again as reverse is still hard to find, my previous attempt to pack out the bush on the bottom of the gear stick has not lasted long.

Are you taking it to Stanford next week? I'm probably taking the blue 45 so we'd have an early(ish) mk1, and a very late mk1, which would be quite :cool: for piccies (y)

Back