General Carburetor cooling fan

Currently reading:
General Carburetor cooling fan

Napolikidd

Can someone please show me pictures of the wiring for the carb fan at the Carb. Also can you show me a picture at the fan.

This is how mine is. I thought there would have been some relays by the fan or something. Also I don’t know what those green wires go to.

Attachments

• 6CC911E4-4651-47FF-9D97-F3648A02DF28.jpeg
    6CC911E4-4651-47FF-9D97-F3648A02DF28.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 178
Here is at the fan motor.

Attachments

• 2B373ACE-D8C0-4C3D-B09C-83B4521F757E.jpeg
    2B373ACE-D8C0-4C3D-B09C-83B4521F757E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
No one must have a x1/9 with a working Carb fan

I guess you haven’t invested in a Haynes manual?

There is a relay in the spare wheel well. One side of the thermostatic switch on the carb should have continuity to the chassis, the other side continuity to pin 86 on the relay.

Pins 85 and 30 on the relay should have permanent 12v on them. One side of the fan motor should have continuity to the chassis and the other wire continuity to pin 87 on the relay.

When the thermostatic switch closes it engages the relay switching 12v on pin 30 to pin 87 connected to the fan motor. As the 12v is permanent the fan should operate without the ignition.

If continuity between contacts is ok and shorting the wires of the thermo switch together doesn’t operate the fan, replace the relay.

Right now on the sensor on the carb I have the black wire with a purple line that goes right to chassis. And the other wire on the switch is grey with a red line. If I touch them together the fan comes on. But I have never heard the fan come on before. They’d why I thought something was wrong.

Does the Carb cooling fan have anything to do with hot starting problem?

Does the Carb cooling fan have anything to do with hot starting problem?

It might do, if one is fitted but not switching on (iirc this carb cooling fan wasn't fitted to all models of the X1/9, it depended on destination market). The purpose of the carb cooling fan was to try to prevent the fuel in the carb becoming too hot and either turning to vapour or expanding and flooding the engine, which could result in difficult hot starting.

See 'NEG's post #6 above for fault diagnosis.

The fan temperature sensor unit is available from some of the X1/9 parts suppliers.

But there can also be other reasons for a hot starting problem e.g. an ignition system problem. I'd suggest getting the carb fan (if fitted) back into working condition, then if no improvement when hot starting, to check out the ignition system when hot, before going near the carb. (it could be a faulty float valve or float level setting).

Al.

Back