General Any Kit Cars to accept dead X1/9 parts?

Currently reading:
General Any Kit Cars to accept dead X1/9 parts?

Jack

Thankfully, my X1/9 is quite healthy but i just wonder if any knows if there are any kits out there, based upon donor use of X1/9 major components?

Goodness knows, there must be a lot of dead X1/9's about and a good looking (ideally near look-alike) would seem to have merit!

Last time I looked there wasn't anything that fits the description although there are plenty of small, mid-engined kit-cars around.

There are a few conversions to the X1/9 that are still available plus another two that are no longer on the market.

The first two are the Dallara and Abarth kits. The Dallara kits are many but basically all reproduce the bodyshape of the original Dallara group 5 car. The Abarth kit is available from Guy Moerenhout in Belgium (at the Abarth museum). The next option is the Eurosport conversion kit which was based around the Dallara body panels but intended for road use rather than competition use (not the Dallara is restricted to this). Eurosport also did a bolt-on kit that replaced the front and rear bumpers.

The first of the "dead" kits is the Faran Eliminator of which a few examples still exist. The second of the "dead" kits was a proper kit-car based around the shape of the Countach but only one or two were made.

There are probably a few other options worldwide but these are the only ones that I know of that were meant for production.

X1/9 body parts have been used on other cars but it was generally just a few components (like the rear lights on early Esprits, the side scoops on a Maserati or the roof latches on the Lancia Stratos and the various copies).

I don't think much has changed... i think kit cars are less common more due to increased boring legislation etc...

Someone should design one!

Back