Technical Reversing Light Switch

Currently reading:
Technical Reversing Light Switch

Dogdda

G'day all,

I have an Australian '78 X 1/9 - I know where the reversing light switch is located BUT there is another switch located next to it - the Haynes Manual has little reference, except a section in Engine Removal - Pg 23 point 20 "Disconnect the reversing light and seatbelt interlock leads (if fitted) from the transmission."

I am assuming the mystery switch is the seatbelt interlock. Can anyone enlighten me further? What exactly does the seatbelt interlock do? Again, there is very little reference to it in the Haynes Manual, not even the wiring diagrams.

I can't imagine that it would be an interlock ie, something that prevents the car from starting.:bang:

Gday

I'm not too sure what switch you're talking about, can you get a picture of it, and maybe I can give you a point in the right direction (having had the gearbox off once or twice before :eek:)

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Blu,

Thanx mate, I'll get it on here soon, it doesn't seem to do anything at this stage (??)

Here 'tis. Obviously, I haven't got around to cleaning underneath!!

Attachments

• Mystery Switch copy.jpg
    Mystery Switch copy.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 79
Mate, trust me, it's the gearbox on a RHD vehicle. Photo is taken looking from front to rear.

Ooh Jimbro, surely you recognise a classically oil and dirt caked 128 gearbox seen from front/below! To help get your bearings, the detent springs' retainer plate with its two fixing bolts is visible on the far right of the pic.

That switch appears to be part of the idiot system that sounds a buzzer if you try to drive off with your seatbelt undone. Have a look at the US wiring diagram on pages 130 and 131, top right of page 131 has most of the bits - Item Nos. 194/1, 194/2 etc.

Cheers R

Thanx R, will investigate. This begs the question - are X 1/9's exported outside of Europe and Britain, wired as American setups?

Well mine isn't, but while fiddling with it today, I noticed that where yours has two switches, mine has a switch (for reversing lights) and a threaded plug. No interlocks or American gear (except for those bumpers :cry:)

Its also unlikely that Australia got US-spec cars, due do the LHD/RHD difference. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I see no-one out there has an answer for me. By The Way, the standard air filter lid also has a sticker on it saying U.S.A. Is everyone's the same?

That switch is an emissions control device which activates a solenoid on the carburettor when you change from 3rd to 4th (or 4th to 3rd, can't remember). Something about over run. There should be a little button near the coolant expansion tank which performs the same role (to check the operation). I'm not sure how effective the whole set up is to tell you the truth. My car has it as well (also a '78 Australian car). Green as well ;-)

Cheers,
Dom.

Last edited:
Cheers dom, that explains what that switch is for...I i have been trying to figure it out for a couple of years, and now I know :D I don't have that solenoid switch, but that may because it has a Regatta gearbox in it.

Back