Technical CV Joints

Currently reading:
Technical CV Joints

ladaspeed

A couple of mine are starting to get a bit of extra movement, as pointed out by the WOF/MOT man a couple of days ago. It may or not be related but I have noticed a very slight wriggle in the rear when you lift off at around 100km/h which *kind of* feels like the same as my old Triumph 2.5TC (I probably shouldn't be admitting ever having owned such a thing on this forum
icon_redface.gif
) used to get when the halfshaft splines locked up when cornering hard and then came free when the slushbox change up a gear....

Everything else in the suspenders should be sweet, I have done the ball joints and all else seems in good form, although I do not know how many miles the rear shocks have done, but it is not many...

Would the two things be related? and what are the options for sorting the CV's if and when I need to?

Ta

hmm, things have developed a bit...

I just put on two new back tyres, and now the rear end twitchyness is now really, really noticeable when you lift off or accelerate in any gear - has anyone ever had something like this happen? It feels like the whole back end is floating around.

I have checked all the suspension joints, nothing was loose or seemed out of order there.

The engine can move about a fair amount on the mounts, and they all seem a bit slogged out, I have a spare lower which I put in last night, and i may temporarily replace the top link with some rod ends to see if that either cures it or eliminates the mounts as the issue...

I guess the other two possibles are the dampers sticking/being too worn, or the CV's locking up, but both things seem in functional order, which is why I have started on the mounts as the most likely cause....

Any ideas at all?

Have you had the rear alignment checked? The car is incredibly sensitive to this and it only has to be off by a tiny bit to throw the handling way off.

Springs and dampers have a serious effect here too but the one that has always scared me is the shimming of the rear arms because once its off there is a horrible job ahead of getting it right again.

Sorted - it was a loose bolt - one of the ones replacing the rivets when i had the ball joints done. I think I will get a serious alighment done now.

Happy now.....:D

Back