Technical Clutch issues

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch issues

rwcrazy

1979 x 1/9, when i push the clutch it goes right to the floor and doesn't spring back up. the car has been sitting for years and I pulled it out of a barn. im sure it needs to be bleed but I don't see where both cylinders are, there is one i see ont he transmission but where would the other be?
do you think i only need to bleed them to get them to work?
thanks for all the help

The clutch master cylinder is under the dashboard right above the pedal. It isn't particularly easy to get to but with some luck it won't need any work directly on it. The bleed point is on the slave cylinder which is easy to get to and very easy to replace.

Bleeding it isn't a problem but I suspect that years of standing has left the seals in ruin and you won't be able to create any pressure in the system. At the slave end the telltale will be a crust of solidified hydraulic fluid at the end of the slave cylinder. If you can see any the odds are you will need to replace it (or the seals). A replacement cylinder used to be £14 but I've seen them recently going for more like £60 so replacing the seals might be an easier option.

The other bit of useful information is that there are a couple of springs in the system, the one most of interest is the spring on the pedal. These are notoriously hard to reconnect once removed but this alone should pull the pedal back from the floor.

Back