Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007   #1
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Distributor

Hi guys,

yesterday my car lost spark. I checked the distributor, and found out, that the thing attached to the rotor (I don't know how is it called, it is spining with the rotor) broke and spark wasnt going to spark plugs. Today I got 1 from scrapyard (it was pretty expensive, guy wantet 10 Euro for it) and the engine is working again

My question: is this common, that this "pointer" broke ? Is this sign of something else, I should be worried about ? My car has 150 000 km. Engine: 1.4 i.e.

Cheers..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

death_paladin9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-02-2007   #2
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: sunny Spain
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Cocoon Island Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Crazy Pinball Champion, Pinball 7UP Champion, Rotamania Champion, Starsky n Hutch PinBall Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by death_paladin9 View Post
Hi guys,

yesterday my car lost spark. I checked the distributor, and found out, that the thing attached to the rotor (I don't know how is it called, it is spining with the rotor) broke and spark wasnt going to spark plugs. Today I got 1 from scrapyard (it was pretty expensive, guy wantet 10 Euro for it) and the engine is working again

My question: is this common, that this "pointer" broke ? Is this sign of something else, I should be worried about ? My car has 150 000 km. Engine: 1.4 i.e.

Cheers..
Its called a rotor arm and no its nothing to worry about as they do wear out, but they are not expensive, and you have been ripped off for a secondhand one as a new one will be less then 10 Euro !

Andy.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

sumplug is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-02-2007   #3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by sumplug View Post
Its called a rotor arm and no its nothing to worry about as they do wear out, but they are not expensive, and you have been ripped off for a secondhand one as a new one will be less then 10 Euro !

Andy.
Yea, I realise now I have been ripped off . But in Slovenia stores are closed today becaouse it is a national holliday. And my car was far away from home where it was exposed to thiefs, so I had no choice. Tomorow some other parts could be "missing", so I didn't take any chance.

Thanks for answering Sumplug
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

death_paladin9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2007   #4
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 525
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
Czech Republic 
Re: Distributor

The scrapyard/garage personnel must be the same stealing b__tards all over the world.
The part you mentioned is 3-4 EUR (depending on the distributor type) brand new where I live, made by aftermarket manufacturer FACET.

I would suggest changing the distributor cap as well, it is some 10 - 15 EUR and its timely renewal can saguard you from similar stealing gits in the future. I did this long before the cap was gone for good.

Your 1,4 will be using one of these two caps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facet1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	23905   Click image for larger version

Name:	facet2.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	23906  

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

(CZ)enda is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2007   #5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by (CZ)enda View Post
The scrapyard/garage personnel must be the same stealing b__tards all over the world.
The part you mentioned is 3-4 EUR (depending on the distributor type) brand new where I live, made by aftermarket manufacturer FACET.

I would suggest changing the distributor cap as well, it is some 10 - 15 EUR and its timely renewal can saguard you from similar stealing gits in the future. I did this long before the cap was gone for good.

Your 1,4 will be using one of these two caps:
Guys you are right. Today I bought new rotor arm and the cost is 2,4 EUR. The guy in scrap yard yoused opurtunity to rip me off, since stores were closed that day. About distributor cap, I changed it last year, so the cap should be ok. Now I will place the new arm on the rotor, since it is new and the one from scrapyard is a bit different becouse it belongs to older model of tipo. My new rotor arm is from FACET as well.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by death_paladin9; 09-02-2007 at 12:36.
death_paladin9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2007   #6
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wirral
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 77
Trader Rating: 0
bluejohn125 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Distributor

I've got a 1994 Tipo 1400 with standard type of distributor cap and rotor arm (like above) - I renewed it last year with Fiat parts, but my 1995 Tipo 1400 has a completely different setup. I took it off today to change my thermostat, it is a modern looking sealed box attached to the engine with 4 small bolts. It looks like a sealed-for-life unit, but what is it and how does it work?? You can take the plug leads off it, but that seems to be all.

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bluejohn125 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2007   #7
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by bluejohn125 View Post
I've got a 1994 Tipo 1400 with standard type of distributor cap and rotor arm (like above) - I renewed it last year with Fiat parts, but my 1995 Tipo 1400 has a completely different setup. I took it off today to change my thermostat, it is a modern looking sealed box attached to the engine with 4 small bolts. It looks like a sealed-for-life unit, but what is it and how does it work?? You can take the plug leads off it, but that seems to be all.

Maybe it has ignition by "electro-magnet", wich is a replacment for distributor and ignition coil in later produced cars. I'm not sure for 1.4 but 1.6 later models have that kind of ignition.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

death_paladin9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2007   #8
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 729
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 2
dazzo666 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Distributor

the 1.4ies had a coil pack fitted to them too in later models,, adds to more expence when they go wrong, touch wood never had one go as of yet!!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dazzo666 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Distributor replacement for Fire 1.1ie engine geom Uno 38 24-12-2007 08:39
(G) Panda Distributor pidster Panda (Classic) 10 11-05-2006 11:51
(G) Noisy distributor? 1.0 FIRE Roadsterchinsk Panda (Classic) 5 27-07-2004 05:43
(G) Distributor question trublue Uno 5 30-06-2004 15:28