your driving lessons & test stories and costs etc

Currently reading:
your driving lessons & test stories and costs etc

I passed first time but it took me longer than it perhaps should of, as i was trying to do a reverse park and cars came and i fudged it and me instructor shouted at me so i sort of had a breakdown over driving, i didnt really like my instructor though tbh, and i hate seeing him about town in his car.
was £16 a lesson for me not sure how much me test was though

I started to learn in Sept 2006 and lessons where £15 a hour, most of my mates where paying £18-£22 a hour.

I had 32 lessons, with two 2 hour lessons when I went to Dorchester. Passed theory first time and pratical first time with 3 minors, started to pull out of space when a car was coming, if I didn't stop, I would have failed within a minute :LOL:.

Stalled while doing a 3 point turn, and not sure where I got my other minor from.

passed the second time round... lessons cost £22 a hour...

first time i had this French instructor who was one of these extreme perfectionists... (n) any little mistake would be a major disaster to him..

so i changed instructors and got this ex police driver, who was very friendly... only had 14 lessons with him before passing...

i failed the first time because i was going down a country lane at 60 and was starting to swerve to close to the grass side of the kerb...

but passed second time with only 2 minors...:)

been driving since i was 10, on tractors and suchlike.

12 hours of lessons @ £20/lesson

1st test failed 4 majors, due to my inexperience

2nd, 3rd, and 4th tests failed with one major apeice, each time it was something ridiculous (eg, one time i tried to parallel park, realised that i needed to re-manuvouer, but the tester said dont bother. Then he failed me at the end for bad parallel parking when by rights he should have given me 2 more chances)

Passed 5th time 3-4 minors i think, by that stage i didnt even care whether i passed or failed.

The whole passing-the-test thing made me very very bitter by the time i had passed. Carlisle driving testers are notorious for being stupidly harsh on people, the sort of harshness that lends credence to the "quota" theories. (by that i mean the rumors that testers are only allowed to pass so many people per month/week)

I think i got a raw deal :bang:

I passed second time (dont do a test with the flu) :-( Mine cost about 20 quid for the lessons, the instructor was worth it thougth. My second test had to be extended as we were held up by a flock of sheep (yes sheep only in carlisle and the first time he saw it in 18 years).

Cant remember the prices.

Did bike cbt at 16- done in the one day
did bike and car theory and hazard percept on my 17th birthday passed all 4 first time
passed bike and car test first time

:D :D

i really had too, everyone else im my family did- id be a let down if i didnt!

Was really cute - my 16yo little sis wants me to teach her to drive :)

Took my test in the days before theory tests and hazard perceptions....

Never had a 'paid for' lesson in my life....Bought an 850cc mini for £125....Went out with my Dad on Sundays and the occasional evening....Started in the car park, progressed onto the roads....Put in for my test thinking I had a three month wait. I put Oct. 1st as first available date and I got the reply in a week....Test date: October 1st, which was like two weeks away.

Well I took my test in the mini....Pulled out of the test centre and my mat was all rucked up under the clutch pedal. I asked if I could stop and sort it out, which I did....Completed the test, got back and had the questions of which I got one wrong (which lane approaching a three lane roundabout etc)....

He then said the immortal line...."Congratulations you have passed"

I was well chuffed! :D

i learned to drive in a 06 ford focus.. all those luxury things i got to love. then i get a car that has none... :D

It cant be worse than a Kia Picanto

at least it has stuff like electric windows etc... thing is tho, when driving in the focus i was so used to things like power steering, abs and things like that.. then the first time i got my punto i nearly crashed it into a wall because the steering was heaver then in the focus... and i had no idea how to engage reverse gear... :rolleyes::D

I learnt to drive in a Vauxhall corsa, had the worst steering wheel and blind spots ever :(

Hmmm was about £20 a lesson when I learnt, did most of my lessons at night, theory test ok but needed further consideration of road users :rolleyes:.
passed 1st time :slayer: 1 minor which was hesitation but if you'd seen the size of the lorry that was coming you would have hesitated too :p

had ten lessons (bought me for a present off the family) with the AA- about to take test, smashed my left foot and couldnt drive for 3 months.

Got back into lessons got about to book practical test then left foot played up and another operation required- two months not driving after op.... 3 months on waiting list for op

got back into lessons, first one back, instructor retires, puts me onto a colleague. have first lesson and he announces his quitting. great.

started with a family friend at £10 an hour, had about 5 lessons and booked my test. a few more took my test and failed. touched a kerb on parrallel parking (which was on the bend of a road- not a straight piece so totally misjudged it). apart from that the rest of the stuff was made up bullsh!t.

another couple of months of lessons and take my second test. I deserved a pass IMHO but failed. cant even remember why.

another few months of lessons and took my third test. fecked up from the start by pulling off in second and deserved to fail, kept questiong what the instructions were and I even touched the kerb in turn in the road. worst driving test i ever took and totally toilet. worst than the first. I passed. I dont know how.

in full it was about 2/3 years before i passed with smashing my foot and operations and stuff and changing instructors. Dont know the cost as it got scary after i started paying for £10 an hour whilst earning £400 a month as a student.

r'kid took his and passed first time- the ****, however as he didnt work it was 3 years before he got a car and drove and his driving is terrible. even my old man says im better (i also have track experience as well though!)

Last edited:
I passed my theory on the second time (I got 29/35 the first time), and it took two weeks to find that out (it was on paper).My driving test I passed the first time, 10 years ago. I had a few minors, one was something to do with my mirrors, cant remember the other. I remember though the test only took about 15 minutes, 20 tops. Lessons with a local driving school were £14/hr.

One of my mates failed 7 times! The sixth time he got a retest for free by complaining about the examiner. By the time he passed the test took longer, about 45 minutes I think (about a year after me)

Dan

i had 20 lessons to pass my test but was out everyday with my dad who was teaching me how to drive. Passed 1st time with 2 minors

I took my test on a wednesday morning, 13 sept 2000 - was in the middle of the fuel strikes and I had to supply the fuel for my test!

I went the wrong way on my test and thought that the examinor would fail me :eek:

1988, I was 17.

Was working and started driving lessons, at that time they were £10 each, I estimate [cos I aint sure after all these years!!] that I had about 20 lessons

At around 12 lessons my instructor said I was ready for my test, I didnt think so.

I had a test booked, and a week prior to the test the centre phoned me to say it had to be cancelled, I was glad.

A few lessons [it became "practice" rather than tuition] later and now at the test centre.

I cant remember how much a test cost, £30? plus 2 hours in the car? sounds about right to me

Passed first time, very happy with that!! if I had my test on the first date theres no way i would have passed.

My Dad was papping himself first time I took his car out, a Talbot Horizon, 1.1 of pure rattly valve gear

I used to do R/C cars at a club, and on sundays used to go to the indoor car park in stockport, no sunday trading back then so no cars, ideal place for R/C's, I realised I left something there 5 mins into my trip home, I went back, was looking across the car park for it and ran into a concrete post :eek:

Dad didnt let me use his car again :mad:

If I had to learn to drive in this day and age, I wouldnt bother, tbo I doubt I would pass the modern test, motoring for the young is too expensive, and insurance cost is a joke.

Back