General Yet another cambelt question!

Currently reading:
General Yet another cambelt question!

windrush

Hi guys. Sorry to bring cambelts up again but I am after some advice! A pal has asked if I could replace the cambelt and waterpump on his 1998 1.6 Brava Automatic, it has done 60,000 miles and he has owned it for 3 years.
The question is, reading through the searches it would appear that tools are needed, ie cam locking etc, is this definately the case as I can't justify the outlay on something that I am unlikely to use again. I used to be a mechanic and have replaced many belts, including Punto diesel and petrol, but if tools ARE required then I would sooner that he took it to our local garage (non Fiat so they wont have the tools either ;)) than me Tippex things and then have problems! I also gather that the crank pulley nut can be a "pig" to undo (is it right hand or left?). Any advice welcome as I would rather be safe than sorry at his expense.
Thank's in advance

Pete.

Hi guys. Sorry to bring cambelts up again but I am after some advice! A pal has asked if I could replace the cambelt and waterpump on his 1998 1.6 Brava Automatic, it has done 60,000 miles and he has owned it for 3 years.
The question is, reading through the searches it would appear that tools are needed, ie cam locking etc, is this definately the case as I can't justify the outlay on something that I am unlikely to use again. I used to be a mechanic and have replaced many belts, including Punto diesel and petrol, but if tools ARE required then I would sooner that he took it to our local garage (non Fiat so they wont have the tools either ;)) than me Tippex things and then have problems! I also gather that the crank pulley nut can be a "pig" to undo (is it right hand or left?). Any advice welcome as I would rather be safe than sorry at his expense.
Thank's in advance

Pete.

Yes IMO you really do need the tools to do the job, you could try and make your own bodge cam-locking tool, but tbh if you ca'nt be asked to invest in the tools then like you say send him to the garage. Surely tho if you were to use the tools you had bought for the job, could you not re-sell them? You may not get yur full whack back but better than nothing?

Thank's for the reply Dark Crusader, the thing is that I quoted him around 150 for the job, including belt kit and waterpump, and he reckoned that was too expensive so I am loathe to cough up another 120 + for tools! That's the downside of doing jobs for mates, they expect you to pay them for the priviledge of working on their cars :D.
I know that it would possibly be cheaper for him to buy a locking kit and pay me than a garage...but he won't see it like that, his loss.
Thank you for your help.

Pete.

Just an update, I have been to our local auto factor to get some prices and they lease the cam locking tools etc at 20 quid + vat per day (apparently a lot of factors do this, I didn't know that!) so including a waterpump, Gates cambelt kit, tool hire and vat it arrives at around the 150 pound mark. He seems happy at that so if someone can please confirm which way the crank nut undoes, L/H or R/H, I should be sorted!

Pete.

Back