Image2469_zps6c6c3834.jpg

Yet another 406!

Whoop, what a lot of interest there is in this! :cool:

Moving swiftly on to the more interesting stuff....

Radio
Image2512_zps9bf6dd81.jpg

Building my own set
Image2517_zps102c6588.jpg

It didn't take long to realise something was wrong
Image2679_zpse5074748.jpg

So swapped the engine
Image2701_zpsa24dd3c9.jpg

Image2707_zpsd28c8976.jpg

Got my wheels back on
Image408_zpsafdf32b7.jpg

Gauge install
Image2756_zps434eddae.jpg

Moving onto the E5 photos:
Image423_zps1ac08bc4.jpg

I bought this for the car after the wastegate started to play up
Image417_zps889ef446.jpg

Needed clocking
Image430.jpg

Image431.jpg

Image433.jpg

Still waiting on a circlips to take off the compressor housing :(
Image434.jpg

Here is Ireland's diesel problem in a nutshell
Image450.jpg

Image452.jpg

I also built a hybrid diesel pump (with some extra internal mods, not just the govmod ;)) using a Xantia and Transit pump :)
Image487.jpg

Image491.jpg

Image494.jpg

Image495.jpg

Image496.jpg

Image499.jpg

Image501.jpg

Image506.jpg

Image508.jpg

And yes, it works :D
Youtube linky

Plenty left to do :)

To be fair, you did point readers in the direction of your thread on the Peugeot forum, and FF people may be interested but not exactly clamouring for regular updates on a 406 Diesel...

You seem to be creating a bit of a street sleeper.. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. But you did rather leave the thread on the silver 406 hanging... I gather you had problems with it and have maybe abandoned or cannibalised it?

How about some updates on your previous projects, especially the Alfa 166 v6! That looked nearly useable albeit with body damage and high running costs!

To be fair, you did point readers in the direction of your thread on the Peugeot forum, and FF people may be interested but not exactly clamouring for regular updates on a 406 Diesel...

You seem to be creating a bit of a street sleeper.. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. But you did rather leave the thread on the silver 406 hanging... I gather you had problems with it and have maybe abandoned or cannibalised it?

How about some updates on your previous projects, especially the Alfa 166 v6! That looked nearly useable albeit with body damage and high running costs!

Touché ;)

Alas tis my daily driver for the moment, I decided to get it after I weighed up the costs of repairing the other one and said no... It was starting to drive me mad too with its alarming problems. So I got this one instead for peanuts and put all the bits into it :) If I had a TD75 this would be a rather pic heavy thread already :D

Also, as it's my daily I need to put my funds into it. I can't justify spending x amount on a car I'll only drive for maybe 30 miles in the year... The Alfa does get cleaned regularly though and when funds permit, I'll get some stuff done to it too along with the E34 :)

Strangely, I decided to restore the silver 156 and shred the blue 156 to save it :eek: also to donate it's engine into the van (y)

Yes, the plan is a street sleeper, I'm aiming for the 160bhp mark (should be easy to achieve). Noting outside suggests the car's already been turned up :) I may put in a drop for the summer as is quite floaty in the corners but not going for big wheels, spoilers etc. Quite rapid as is :cool:
Image545.jpg

Also going to try shove this in too, somehow :p
Image535.jpg

Last edited:
Can we get a picture of all your cars?:rolleyes:

For the first time ever.... And probably the only time, all the current vehicles :)

Some change quite often (y)

As well as my own car hiding alongside the road:

Mams car
Image567.jpg

Van + 166
Image568.jpg

Dads car
Image569.jpg

His van and a 156
Image570.jpg

Tempra
Image571.jpg

E34 + Silver Bravo shell
Image572.jpg

......... :p
Image573.jpg

S3 FFR
Image574.jpg

500SE
Image575.jpg

2 X1/9's and a Tempra
Image576.jpg

X1/9
Image577.jpg

280SE
Image578.jpg

And a Ducato full of engines
Image579.jpg

All revealed just this once! ;)

See how easy it is to lose track.... Or is it just me :eek:

Omg, thanks! You've forgot the 406. :) I would like to have this type of business.
How can I be adopted? :yum: :wave: You can keep the non-italian cars. :p

Yep! Hence left at side of road hiding :p

Tis a private affair not a business, this is our hobby! All between 3 people :eek:

I own most of the non Italian cars anyway.... Just :p

How's the rear subframe on the Bravo? There's a guy in Ireland on the Tipo forum trying to rescue a grey diesel Tipo, and needs one (they seem to be compatible between models despite different mount).

Just thought you could help a Fiat project perhaps!

How's the rear subframe on the Bravo? There's a guy in Ireland on the Tipo forum trying to rescue a grey diesel Tipo, and needs one (they seem to be compatible between models despite different mount).

Just thought you could help a Fiat project perhaps!

Not a chance! I built that up with copper lines, a beefy arb, coilys, 146 mounting brackets and callipers. That's mine for the van ;)

However in one of those pics is a stack of Bravo/a/Punto axles, all the crusty ones binned, so I'm sure there's something there to suit.... Sure send them my way! (y)

Looking, sounding and working great! (y)

Maybe a smidge too low for my tastes, and it's a bit of a shame about the smoke - is this inevitable or can you improve it?

What's the basic summary of the necessary repairs you did and then your own improvements? Are you there yet?

Looking forward to Van / Alfa updates now...

Looking, sounding and working great! (y)

Maybe a smidge too low for my tastes, and it's a bit of a shame about the smoke - is this inevitable or can you improve it?

What's the basic summary of the necessary repairs you did and then your own improvements? Are you there yet?

Looking forward to Van / Alfa updates now...

Cheers! Tis a bit too low indeed, exhaust scrapes the road in places :eek: but I'm happy with it as is! It's not as smoky as the vid makes out, not developing full boost so will smoke more. It was far far worse! :eek:

Necessary repairs when I got it were the turbo (followed by engine), suspension overhaul and clutch. Everything else is either cosmetic or for the sake of doing so! :p I still need to put on the bigger Garett, just a curse to make brackets to fit but I'm getting there bit by bit :)

Work has begun on the van.... ;)

Im guessing regarding tuning on this is basically, Fuel Pressure up + Boost up = Moar power?
Mechanical injection am I right?

Mech injection indeed!

Well there was a bit more to it than preload adjustment and fuel screw in.... Like the decat, straight through at the exhaust end, going onto the hybrid gov (Transit main spring in Ducato cradle), LDA pin grind, cold/hot advance adjustment, case pressure adjustment, repositioning of the throttle arm for further travel.... A lot of the mods are in the pump and I have another bigger pump ready on the other engine (y)

Some sad news people..... I gave up with the turbo swap, just too much work to fit. So the Garrett is being sold on :cry:

So instead I got a bigger turbo instead (y)
Image782.jpg

Just as a comparison on the left is one for a 2.8 Daily van :D
Image786.jpg

In no time I had it on the manifold
Image787.jpg

Image790.jpg

Image791.jpg

And beside the stock GT15 turbo
Image792.jpg

On the newish engine
Image847.jpg

Going in the car
Image852.jpg

Apart from this pipe it looks very oem....
Image873.jpg

Image875.jpg

Buuuuuut..... Does it work?

It's an absolute hoot to drive :D more fine tuning needed but I'm very happy with it at the moment :worship:

Good to see that this project seems to be coming to a successful conclusion.

Sad if you're excited by Diesel Peugeot saloon developments, but encouraging if you're awaiting news of Fiat /Alfa projects! :)

Yep, I'm happy with how it performs :) it destroys most other cars on the road :devil:

Being the daily hack I do have to give it much attention but as it's fairly low tech it needs far less than I give it :p

The bulk of the work is done, still will be a few updates now and again.... Onto the next venture in due time in another thread! (y)

I've just been enjoying my car since. Nice to have a daily car that just demoralises most sub 2.0 cars on Irish roads and still returns a modest 45mpg (y)

You'd never know what lies under the bonnet....
IMG_0134.JPG

Image944.jpg

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Yeah, that's soot on the boot not dirt :eek:

Compound turbos have crossed my mind.... Just the maths to do.... I know where to get a decent sized blower and all..... ;)

I miss my car so so much :cry::cry::cry:

The belt went in November, only now is it nearly ready to go back on the road (y) that's taking too long :(

Some lols with the coat stand exhaust
Image1063.jpg

Image1065.jpg

Instead of repairing the engine, I just got another one and did it up. Ported and polished, valves reground and castings removed
Image1102.jpg

Image1121.jpg

Block was a filthy mess
Image1124.jpg

Image1125.jpg

Eventually
Image1187.jpg

Cleaned the sump too
Image1178.jpg

Did some pump re-working
Image1234.jpg

Image1237.jpg

Clapped the head on and retimed it
Image1223.jpg

Image1241.jpg

Image1238.jpg

That post was over a 3 month timescale :cry:

All that's left is the pump to go on, wire it up, timing belt, aux bracket and in it goes. I can't wait :cool:

Back