Technical Yellow triangle!

Currently reading:
Technical Yellow triangle!

MrsSB

hi
I have had a yellow triangle with exclamation mark in middle on my dashboard for a while, had various work on car over the last year and it still comes on when I first start the car but next time I drive car ( the same day) its not on!
Online advice says it could be anything from lights to service being due! Ruled these out!

Anyone else have this on their Fiat 500L?
Any idea what it could mean?
Thanks! x

Can you not get it plugged in and it should tell you why it’s on? Might cost you a small amount at a local garage but at least you’ll know. Failing that if there’s any members near you it might only cost you a cuppa and a biscuit. As you said it can mean various things

I've got a thread about my triangle that's been on for 8mths now and keeps finding faults.

hi
I have had a yellow triangle with exclamation mark in middle on my dashboard for a while, had various work on car over the last year and it still comes on when I first start the car but next time I drive car ( the same day) its not on!
Online advice says it could be anything from lights to service being due! Ruled these out!

Anyone else have this on their Fiat 500L?
Any idea what it could mean?
Thanks! x
Most common issue is a failed bulb. However, it could be an earth connection issue at a lamp. At each lamp, all bulbs are fed with 12v when required to be lit, but share a common earth path for the circuit return. If that earth is high resistance, the current will try to find an alternative path, usually through another bulb. It is likely that the intermittent nature of your triangle reflects when more than one light is on, such as brakes and indicator, or brakes and reverse, etc.
With someone to help, turn on all the lights together, then see what, if anything untoward happens as indicators flash, or brake lights are on/off. Hopefully the errant lamp will show itself, and the connections can be cleaned. Otherwise, go to next suggestion below.
Can you not get it plugged in and it should tell you why it’s on? Might cost you a small amount at a local garage but at least you’ll know. Failing that if there’s any members near you it might only cost you a cuppa and a biscuit. As you said it can mean various things
Being most likely a body control function, basic code readers will struggle to interpret, or even read the Fiat. The standardisation of code reading relates to powertrain only, so manufacturers have unique protocols. Ask your garage if they can read Fiats, before paying for any diagnosis. Alternatively, have a look at the MES thread, to see if there is anyone in your area who might help.
I've got a thread about my triangle that's been on for 8mths now and keeps finding faults.
Ongoing faults, especially if different or apparently unrelated, usually mean a dying battery, or earth connection faults.

I've had a new battery fitted recently.
A Fiat Garage flagged there was a computer fault and apparently it went for an update but its still here. They're saying I'm starting it wrong.... but missing the point that however it's started, there shouldn't be a light on, and the fact there's been issues regularly would show the warning light is always warning there's something not right and I'm asking them to find out what that is so it won't come up

I had an intermittent triangle fault which turned out to be a poorly fitted bulb which had not been seated correctly.

Back