Technical X250 Timimg failure 2.3

Currently reading:
Technical X250 Timimg failure 2.3

bunglebear22

I have a selfbuilt motorhome on a 2007 X250 2.3 120 Ducato, Last week I went to start it in the cold weather and it would not start, it just cranked slowly and showed no signs of injecting diesel, I borrowed a scanner and it showed a crank/RPM sensor issue.

I checked the cam and crank sensors and after a bit of digging on the net, I thought the cambelt had jumped a few teeth.

Yesterday I removed the cambelt cover, but the crank pulley came off complete so I do not know if the belt jumped or not. But more worrinley only one of the cams was turning. on investigation the exhaust cam spocket was completely loose. these are driven by a chain on the rear of the engine.

Has anyone had the same issue or does anyone know what the chances are of not bending any valves?

Regards Anthony

Last edited:
Sounds like you could be a victim of the (it doesn't happen) frozen water-ice in the cambelt cover!
Due to the X250 Ducatos leaking scuttle panel on the bottom of the windscreen allowing water into the engine compartment. Some of which enters the cambelt cover & if the temperature is low enough, it then freezes.
When an engine start is then attempted, due to the now frozen water in the cambelt housing the belt can either jump a couple of teeth or it may break completely. As for the loose exhaust camshaft as you said the two camshafts are timed/driven by the chain at the rear of the engine - it doesn't sound good if the exhaust camshaft is rotating without the inlet as well, see attached pic of the chain assembly. I think all the Ducato engines are interference engines so any camshaft timing issue will most likely result in bent valves.
The 2.3JTD was used in the 02-06 244 model as well, so the 2.3 engine is covered in that manual & can downloaded from the downloads section of the forum.
Cheers

Attachments

• 2.3_Timing_chain.jpg
    2.3_Timing_chain.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 474
Not good news, I removed the cam carrier today and found 8 broken cam followers. I guess bent valves aswell, but I will not know how many until the head is removed.

Anthony

Back