Technical X1/9 Switches

Currently reading:
Technical X1/9 Switches

Recently started restoring a ‘78 X with little previous experience. I removed the center console and its switches (hazard, etc.) and cut the black wire to each to each switch thinking it was a ground. I now realize it is not a metallic wire. What is the best way to rejoin 2 sections of this (?)wire?

Attachments

• F5127FBB-7FD6-4039-97D0-1ECD08C4FD06.jpeg
    F5127FBB-7FD6-4039-97D0-1ECD08C4FD06.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 37
Its fibre optic wire. There might be a way of joining it back but you might have to replace them.

They were quite dim in my car until i fitted an led bulb in the bulb unit

If there is enough length you might get away with pushing the long bit into the switch after you remove the offcut

They're fibre optic cables used to transport light from a light source (bulb) to where it's needed e.g. a switch symbol.

They can be joined. Maybe ask someone who works in telecommunications e.g. telephone engineer? Or check out 'fibre optic cable jointing' on YouTube?
It might be easier to get some more fibre optic cable and replace those you've cut i.e. run new cable from light source to each switch symbol.

Me? I'd just butt the ends together inside a short length of heat shrink tubing as used on automotive wiring, apply some heat and see if it works?

Al.

Last edited:
Back