Technical x1/9 carb to injection conversion help

Currently reading:
Technical x1/9 carb to injection conversion help

jcstuckinmuck

Hi all iam new here, i have a 1979 1500 carb model and i would like to convert to injection, have the manifold,air chamber,injectors ecu, fuel rail and pressure regulator, cold start injector and wiring and air flow sensor and intake hose, i think i have most bits
What other items would i need for the conversion, i also would like a wiring diagram for the double relay pinouts, this coversion is not for power but better running and starting, any help and ideas, andany part numbers for the missing items, John

Cheapest method is to fit parts from a mk1 punto sporting or similar car with injection set up.

More expensive method is to build or buy an aftermarket ecu...

Either way is tricky.

I have a tipo/tempra setup on my car and it has slightly less power than the original carb. It does start perfect, doesnt need much tinkering and uses less fuel though...

The porter manual for the tempra has wiring diagrams. This was available online. I have a copy somewhere.

I think there a plenty of other issues still to worry about with an x1/9!!!

Last edited:
The fuel injected setup requires a different fuel tank and fuel pump. The pump is electric and operates at a higher pressure (about 35 psi). It connects to the bottom of the fuel tank - I'm guessing tha's because it is not self-priming. You should be able to get the tank and pump from Midwest Bayless or Rock Auto or others. An aftermarket pump is available at a pretty reasonable price.
You will also need the oxygen sensor setup - it goes in the exhaust pipe that connects the manifold to the catalytic converter - and an air filter arrangement which is not critical and you can probably just rig something up.
The electrical part is the easiest. Most of the wiring is handled by the harness with only a few connections to the double relay thing (power connections, wiring to the fuel pump). I have the schematic if you still need it.
I am the proud owner of a carburetted 79 and an injected 81 and I don't know that there's any real performance difference except that the injected one starts better but is more difficult to troubleshoot. Sadly the L-Jetronic pre-dates modern controllers and has no diagnostic capability.
Best of luck and let me know if you need any help.
Wally

Back