General Work being done on my x1/9

Currently reading:
General Work being done on my x1/9

Hi All, a further update....mmm MORE RUST!!! How unusual! :rolleyes: This time a small external blister on the side of the engine cover turned nasty! Rust on rust! Anyway things are progressing nicely and hopefully our X will be back on the road in around 3 - 4 weeks.

So here are some more up to date pictures of the repair to the engine cover and also the fit of the bumperettes instead of the ugly US style bumpers. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_8654.jpg
    IMG_8654.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8735.jpg
    IMG_8735.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8740.jpg
    IMG_8740.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8713.jpg
    IMG_8713.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Hi again,
I also meant to ask, does anyone know what these small openings just below the headlights are for? Should there be a small panel in place, if so, both are missing on my X.
Thanks,
Wayne

Attachments

• P1060029.JPG
    P1060029.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8654.jpg
    IMG_8654.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • P1060011.JPG
    P1060011.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 32
I'm at work at the moment but going on memory, they are covered by a black plastic panel which is part of the front bumper.
I've seen some welded up when the car has gone bumperless.

Correct in two sentences (y)

79x19, that is looking so mint :yum: A question: how good a nick are your old bumpers in? ;)

Hi Guys!
Thanks for your replies about the small plastic panels under the headlights. I will have to have another look amongst the stuff that the previous owner gave me when he sold me the car.

In regards to the condition of the bumpers, I do have them and some of the trim for them as well. I haven't cleaned them up as I wasn't interested in putting them on our X, but they appear to be in good condition. I was intending to put them on eBay when I got around to it. Where in Oz are you bludvl? I will be happy to sell them (will help with the bigger bill!:eek:). Let me know if you are interested and I will take some photos for you.

Can anyone help me with finding a front main grille? The on on my X is not in a good way so if I can find a good replacement at a good price I am in the hunt for one.

Thanks for all your interest(y)

Hi Guys!
Thanks for your replies about the small plastic panels under the headlights. I will have to have another look amongst the stuff that the previous owner gave me when he sold me the car.

In regards to the condition of the bumpers, I do have them and some of the trim for them as well. I haven't cleaned them up as I wasn't interested in putting them on our X, but they appear to be in good condition. I was intending to put them on eBay when I got around to it. Where in Oz are you bludvl? I will be happy to sell them (will help with the bigger bill!:eek:). Let me know if you are interested and I will take some photos for you.

Can anyone help me with finding a front main grille? The on on my X is not in a good way so if I can find a good replacement at a good price I am in the hunt for one.

Thanks for all your interest(y)
The little bits of plastic that cover those holes are attatched to the black trim on the top of your old railway track, sorry, bumper. I think it would just be a case of making up a plate and filling it in, I am not aware of any higher purpose of them anyway.

The little bits of plastic that cover those holes are attatched to the black trim on the top of your old railway track, sorry, bumper. I think it would just be a case of making up a plate and filling it in, I am not aware of any higher purpose of them anyway.

Hi Bludvl,
I will most likely get some plates fabricated and then welded into place. The bumpers I have are the US square type. See the photos below I have just taken tonight. they show the trim parts I also have. The bumpers appear to be in good condition with no real scratches or dents.

Attachments

• P1060290.JPG
    P1060290.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 20
  • P1060291.JPG
    P1060291.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 23
  • P1060292.JPG
    P1060292.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P1060293.JPG
    P1060293.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1060294.JPG
    P1060294.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
Wait 'til you try to get the plastic trim that goes on top of the bumpers to hide the gap to the bodywork!

You'll find it was gone nice and wavy instead of flat - do a bit of looking online and you should find some solutions to that particular problem.

Wait 'til you try to get the plastic trim that goes on top of the bumpers to hide the gap to the bodywork!

You'll find it was gone nice and wavy instead of flat - do a bit of looking online and you should find some solutions to that particular problem.

Hi Jimbro,
I noted tonight when looking through my X spares that the plastic 'plate' is actually part of the plastic trim that covers the top of the front bumper, so there is no way I can use it without cutting it off the bumper trim. As I am putting the old bumpers up for sale on eBay there is no way I want to hack into the trim.
Thanks for your advice just the same.

Some more photos from the workshop. Getting closer now to colour going back on. All rust has finally been removed and repaired!:)

Attachments

• P1060308.JPG
    P1060308.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • P1060307.JPG
    P1060307.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • P1060306.JPG
    P1060306.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • P1060305.JPG
    P1060305.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • P1060303.JPG
    P1060303.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Hi All,
For those interested here are some more photos taken last Friday. Roof, bumpers and other parts have been painted, the body should have the door jams and so forth done soon and hopefully the rest of the body will follow during next week.

In a couple of the photos you will see the plate that we have put in just below the headlights to replace the plastic trim piece.

There was no interest on eBay for the US style post 79 bumpers. Will most likely try again later as they are only taking up space in my shed.

Once I get my X home I will put in some new carpet.

Attachments

• P1060328.JPG
    P1060328.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • P1060327.JPG
    P1060327.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • P1060339.JPG
    P1060339.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • P1060333.JPG
    P1060333.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • P1060332.JPG
    P1060332.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Many thanks for the progressive updates on here. I'm in the early stages of doing up a 78 X and I'm in Melbourne. I might have to get in touch with your mate regarding some panel and pain work.

cheers, Dave

Many thanks for the progressive updates on here. I'm in the early stages of doing up a 78 X and I'm in Melbourne. I might have to get in touch with your mate regarding some panel and pain work.

cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your post.(y) I am in Sunbury, so if you are near you will be most welcome to come have a look. I will chat to my friend who has done all the panel work on my X. If you are interested, let me know in a private message your details and I will pass them onto my friend. Otherwise the workshop is Mopar Motors in Thomastown. Website is www.moparmotors.com.au

Thanks mate, I will certainly get in touch when I'm ready to go ahead with things. At the moment, I'm just trying to get it running again. I'm in Glenroy so relatively close. I seem to be doing a lot of work in Sunbury at the moment so I'll keep and eye out for a pristinly paint X1/9 now!

Thanks mate, I will certainly get in touch when I'm ready to go ahead with things. At the moment, I'm just trying to get it running again. I'm in Glenroy so relatively close. I seem to be doing a lot of work in Sunbury at the moment so I'll keep and eye out for a pristinly paint X1/9 now!

Hi Dave, I hope we can catch up one day soon. Will happily drive over to Glenroy to give you a look sometime, or let me know when you are in Sunbury.

Hi All,
We are nearing the end of this journey and should have our X back on the road by Monday night.:D
We have found that the air dam/spoiler immediately below the front grille is not original, it seems to have been cut from ? another fiat or another model, but for the moment we are using it until I can find the correct panel. I have included a couple of photos to show you.

The car is back together, new paint and it does look great. Was just getting the final polish tonight and a few minor touches and t will definetly be back on the road next Monday.

I will put up some final photos next week...Thanks for all your interest in this journey of our X.

Regards,
Wayne(y)

I am having hassles getting the pictures uploaded. :mad: :bang: Hopefully will be able to get them up soon for you all to have a look at them.

Will keep trying!

Tried again making the pics smaller size. Hopefully you can see them ok. I will post final pics next week.(y)

Attachments

• P1060360.JPG
    P1060360.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1060362.JPG
    P1060362.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 41
  • P1060364.JPG
    P1060364.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 28
  • P1060367.JPG
    P1060367.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 39
  • P1060368.JPG
    P1060368.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 35
Looks amazing mate, really came up well. I'm thinking I'll get the spray done soon rather than later now! I'll drop you a line in the next few days!

Cheers, Dave

Back