Windows Home Server

Currently reading:
Windows Home Server

306maxi

STOP! Hammer time!
Built myself a new PC on Tuesday so I thought I'd set up my 3 year old PC (E8400, 4gb of RAM 2 x 2tb hdd's) as a Windows Home Server on the 30 day trial microsoft do. Anyone had any experience with WHS and have any advice?

It's happily doing backups automatically but I can't help but feel that there are probably a million interesting and useful things I could be doing with it other than just automatic backups.......

Just put a proper server OS on it - i.e. Linux. That way you can start with things like it being a fileserver to store backups and then when you are ready you can experiment with other stuff like using it as a VPN server, Web server, Firewall, Email gateway...

I ran WHS for a while... some quite cool plugins you can get etc.

Vail looked promising, but since its now loosing the drive extender feature I cant see it getting much movement...

I've now blasted it away, migrated my 6TB of data over to 2008R2 Server with some AFP services so its working nicely the my macs.

PM me if you get stuck with it or require 'anything'

I'd suggest you forget about windows server as an OS and opt for Ubuntu Linux Server edition. However, if the lack of a GUI in that edition puts you off try Ubuntu Linux Desktop instead. It would be a lot faster than a windows system and you would find all necessary software for FREE. I used to have a windows server myself but the lack of security and the mere fact that all server software had to be purchased separately made me look elsewhere for a solution.
See www.ubuntu.com

I'd suggest you forget about windows server as an OS and opt for Ubuntu Linux Server edition. However, if the lack of a GUI in that edition puts you off try Ubuntu Linux Desktop instead. It would be a lot faster than a windows system and you would find all necessary software for FREE. I used to have a windows server myself but the lack of security and the mere fact that all server software had to be purchased separately made me look elsewhere for a solution.
See www.ubuntu.com

Kind of a silly thing to suggest? Sorta depends on ya needs really ;)

Linux just wont do what I need (even in a wrapper).

Security in Windows is as good as its ever been, don't install dodgy software, browse dodgy sites and keep the system up to date its as good as any other. (who does this on a server anyway?)

WHS is built on 2003 tech (its old) but its still fully supported by MS and receives all the security updates that MS push out.

PS. im by no means a Microsoft/Windows fan...

Back