Technical Wierd Starting Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Wierd Starting Issue

DjPatD

Hows it going guys? i have an 86 X1/9, shes been running good recently until a few days ago. it seems as if sometimes when i turn the key in the ignition, the lights and radio turns on but all i here is a 1 click, and the sound of like a vacuum thats running. when i take out the key it stops.

then a few minutes later, and a few tries later she turns over for like 10seconds then finally starts. what could be the cause of this problem?

thanks in advance guys!

sounds like the solenoid is on its way out. I'd strip and clean the starter. someone on here can tell you how to strip the solenoid as well, but can't remember who...

Might be worth your while cleaning gearbox earth strap as well just to make sure.

eventually it will start though, i dont see how it would be the starter because it really doesnt make sense.

everytime it starts it does the same scenario. i turn the key and it clicks once, followed by a vacuum noise which stops when i take the keys out.

i try to start it may 10-20 times later and eventually it will try to start you will hear the engine turn over and turn over, then sputter alittle then eventually the sputtering progresses until it starts.

when it does start it smells as if its been choked.

thanks alot guys.

right then. I think that the starter is sticking, thats why it takes loads of times to try and start then eventually it will. Best thing to do to test is to put a wire on the + terminal on the coil, then down to the spade connector on the starter solenoid and see what happens.

i will try this thanks alot. my mechanic down here in NY doesnt no what the cause of the problem is, he is thinking along the lines of faulty ignition wiring or some sort of ground problem.

The vacuum noise is the fuel pump - electric on a fed-spec '86, the rest of us have mechanical pumps that only run when the engine is spinning.

The single click is the solenoid only throwing part way and failing to make contact, eventually you get lucky and it throws far enough that you get a circuit and the starter motor spins.

I don't think this is the only problem though - the over fuelling on startup is worrying too but could be the result of a poor earth meaning the starter is drawing too much current for the rest of the engine electrics to work adequately. Could be the complex relay that isolates the injection/ignition system...

This same thing happened to me in 1994 in meredith rd shopping centre in Ipswich. It happened all at once and not gradually. Explained problem to the fiat garage and they diagnosed a worn ignition barrell. I managed to get it re-started by gently wiggling the key + earlier that year I'd replaced the starter motor so was fairly sure that the starter motor was not at fault. For you it could be both unfortunately. Clean the commutator grooves out of dust and check the bushes are not worn out within the starter motor.

I hope my post may help. On new ignition barells when tightening the bolt you keep tightening until it shears off!! for real. A surreal job as i can remember.:eek:

You don't have to use snap bolts for the ignition - in fact I've only owned one X1/9 (out of 7) had them sheared off. I suspect that the bolts were left with the heads on at the factory and the dealer was supposed to snap them off once the car was checked and ready but in the UK (at least) the dealers were so lazy that this never (or rarely) happened.

They are supposed to be a security measure to stop would be car thieves from just unbolting the ignition barrel and operating the switch by hand. Given how easy and damaging it is to bypass this feature I would rather the bolts were left with heads...

hey guys, i just wanted to keep everyone updated. i replaced the starter motor and everything is perfect.
thanks alot guys!

Back