Technical White smoke

Currently reading:
Technical White smoke

HornetUK

Established member
Just started my 1.4 Stilo in the garage to leave running to ensure coolant leak fix holding OK and all I have got for an hour is white smoke pumping out the exhaust? Do I now have another problem? It isn't loads of white smoke, but it is still white and coming out for an hour.

My coolant leak was coming out of the water pump when car cold this is now fixed with new O ring seal. I presume the garage can't have caused this latest issue of smoke?

I will have to wait and see if my coolant goes down I suppose.

As I've never ran car in garage standing for an hour before is white exhaust smoke normal in these conditions?

Cheers

Just started my 1.4 Stilo in the garage to leave running to ensure coolant leak fix holding OK and all I have got for an hour is white smoke pumping out the exhaust? Do I now have another problem? It isn't loads of white smoke, but it is still white and coming out for an hour.

My coolant leak was coming out of the water pump when car cold this is now fixed with new O ring seal. I presume the garage can't have caused this latest issue of smoke?

I will have to wait and see if my coolant goes down I suppose.

As I've never ran car in garage standing for an hour before is white exhaust smoke normal in these conditions?

Cheers

errr may be, you left it running for an hour, could be just steam but after an hour it should have stopped unless its really cold;)

dont wana scare ya but have you checked the oil cap to see any white residue? although even without that tell tale sign could still be the gasket like mine:bang:

Oil cap just oil, but white smoke still coming out after 2 hours :(

Turned off now, coolant appeared to decrease about a hairline over the 2 hours, surely to have smoke that long coolant would go down more?

I will mark coolant when cold and see if it goes down. Could white smoke be sign of something else?

Cheers for any help

my 1.2 can give a lot of white smoke, even after the amount of time you think it should have stopped, but it loses no water and the oils fine.

Its the burning oil smell i get on start up that worries me, but not overly worried as this is only when the car is on my drive, which isnt level, which i understand from previous discussions with mechanics and also posted on this board not so long ago, can happy to any car that isnt parked level

Fingers crossed its OK then. I'll monitor the water over a week and see if it still dissapears. The white smoke is a bit concerning though, but is currently the only symptom of HG problem.

so no chocolate milkshake under the oil filler cap then?

to be honest the white smoke coming off mine is nowhere near the amount a HG failure would produce. My ibiza looked like a steam train and so did my mates nova SR.

What i am comparing to is yes i get white smoke, but compare this to an object, its a cadburys mini egg, ona hg failure, i got white smoke, but this was like having one of those massive thorntons easter eggs.

compare the two, very different amounts.

Fuel creates steam anyway as its a liquid

Last edited:
Back