Technical which year to stay away from?

Currently reading:
Technical which year to stay away from?

fiatmonkey

Hi,

Newbie to the forum an old timer to Fiat's (mainy Spiders 124 and 850) however I have no Fiats to brag about these days.

I am looking at buying an X/19 in order to get this nagging Fiat Bug to stop biting me! I have always tried to steer clear of 77-79 year (US cars) really based on advise of a dear friend who has been around the Fiat block. That said, other than 1300 vs 1500 cc does anyone have advice on exactly which years to pass on and why?

I am looking at a 76 and a 77 this weekend. I am Northern California.

Thanks in advance!
FM

I used to say stay away from early Fiat X1/9s and early Bertone X1/9s.The later production from each was better and much less likely to rot away in front of your eyes. After having had a chat with a friendly ex-Fiat mechanic from that era it seems there is much more to it.

The rust protection was *not* applied at the factory, it was done at the dealership. It wasn't available on the early 1300s so the earliest models are hit-or-miss, possibly down to the original owner having some protection applied by a third party and then that said third party applied it properly.

There is a definite difference in the early Bertone's as well with them much more prone to rust. The problem is that it is still a matter of luck but largely any car left in one piece now will have been treated reasonably well otherwise it wouldn't still be around.

The big issue with the federal spec cars is the changes to emissions and the bumpers. The early 1300 bumpers are definitely the most attractive but also the most likely to result in the car getting seriously mashed from even minor front/rear knocks so not too many around. The ladder bumpers have proven largely unpopular but some people like them - it is a matter of taste. The more solid extruded girder bumpers definitely give the best protection.

Emissions is tricky. Theoretically the best choice is a later fuel injected engine from a state where emissions controls were not draconian (ie not California). A unstifled late 1300 would give about the same power though (with a 4-speed box) and out-rev the later 1500. Strip the emissions controls from a 1500 though and it is again stronger. The injected engines proving very reliable.

Realistically what you want is an X1/9 that looks good (no rust) with suspension that hasn't rotted (it still goes around corners) and an engine that really pulls (probably already stripped of emissions gear). Such a car could come from any period in the X1/9s history...

Jimbro,

Thanks for the thorough and helpful response. One positive for the pre-75's here in California is Smog exemption so that coupled with the right things to look for regarding body and under carriage rust (and some other stuff) is huge.

Thanks again,
FM

Back