General Which exhaust for my HGT?

Currently reading:
General Which exhaust for my HGT?

gex18

Established member
I have had my W reg HGT since november and frankly am getting fedup of the weedy sound every time i rev the enginge, and so am looking for an exhaust for it, are there any you guys reccomend (what brands are reccomended), have been looking for supersprint as heard they are the best for performance increases, also i want backbox only?
Just hope it doesnt reduce my MPG too much, as i only get 25 mpg at the moment on a good run so get 60 miles out of 10 pound of petrol! Also what is the red light on the dashboard, seems to flick on for half a second on every journey?!

Cheers guys!

supersprint it what you want, and a decent backbox will do next to bugger all for you,

You'd be better spending the backbox money on a supersprint manifold, it will give you a slightly better top end, and also make the exhaust sound more burbly then loud, then you can replace the rest of the exhaust in order.

Yup they're expensive but the only one worth having.

supersprint it what you want, and a decent backbox will do next to bugger all for you,

You'd be better spending the backbox money on a supersprint manifold, it will give you a slightly better top end, and also make the exhaust sound more burbly then loud, then you can replace the rest of the exhaust in order.

Yup they're expensive but the only one worth having.

gex18 said:
I have had my W reg HGT since november and frankly am getting fedup of the weedy sound every time i rev the enginge, and so am looking for an exhaust for it, are there any you guys reccomend (what brands are reccomended), have been looking for supersprint as heard they are the best for performance increases, also i want backbox only?
Just hope it doesnt reduce my MPG too much, as i only get 25 mpg at the moment on a good run so get 60 miles out of 10 pound of petrol! Also what is the red light on the dashboard, seems to flick on for half a second on every journey?!

Cheers guys!
The only time I've seen the red light on the dashboard when driving was when the battery in the keyfob was flat, changed the battery in keyfob and I haven't seen the red light since hope that helps. 25mpg is pretty poor (I get 35mpg cross country and into the 40's on the motorway), try changing up a gear earlier as there's plenty of torque from the engine it's just that the engine has a relatively smooth torque curve so you don't feel your going quite so fast until you look at the speedo and decide to slow down

Will it f**k up the ecu putting a bacbox on, as i have heard that the engine will have to be remapped? Also what other brands produce backboxes for the HGT, as the options seem pretty limited, like it to be fairly loud if poss!

gex18 said:
Will it f**k up the ecu putting a bacbox on, as i have heard that the engine will have to be remapped? Also what other brands produce backboxes for the HGT, as the options seem pretty limited, like it to be fairly loud if poss!

Putting a back box on does neither affect any functions of the ECU nor requires a remap. A back box alone is within the margins that the ECU is able to adapt.

I am thinking of going for a powerflow exhaust as i want one with bark to match the bite of the HGT engine! Am after upswept letterbox style exhaust, can they alter the sound to your liking (i mean loudness, as i want a good meaty sound, but nothing too in your face)?! Also whats an average price for a powerflow zaust, and what is fabricating / fitting time like?!

Powerflow will be able to taylor the sound to your taste mate.

I think you will be looking at around £150-200 for them to build you a backbox (I was quoted around £300+ for a cat-back).

As for fitting time they will probably want the car for half a day or so, shouldnt take them more than a few hours to fabricate and fit but its a case of them working on it while working on others at the same time.

Hope that helps mate.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on (y)

Back