Where's my Brake Fluid Gone???????

Currently reading:
Where's my Brake Fluid Gone???????

K

Karl

Ok so driving home from work yesterday and the brakes felt rather spongy.. checked dash for warning lights ect but nothing..

Got home and popped the bonnet to find the resovior bone dry.... i topped it up only a few weeks back i dont appear to have any patches on the drive where a leak might be...

What else could it be???

Will get under the car tonight to check brake lines and pipes but i would expect to see some on the drive.

Clutch slave cylinder has gone, common fault.

Go have a look and I bet it's all wet around it.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

on the gearbox if you didnt know ;)

I got mine for £25 from EK's 3 year ago,still going strong.gave it bit of a clean up when the engine went in too.

More than likely The clutch slave cylinder but check the inside of the wheels as well for leaking fluid could be a wheel cylinder

Checked the brake lines and pipes all fine but the rear drivers is suspect...

On the back of the brake where the handbrake cable is there is a spring and a 10mm bolt there is brake fluid residue there but i cant see where the leak is the left rear is bone dry...

Top of gear box is dry so not the clutch slave cylinder...

Looks like i will have to strip down the rear brake and check what is broken...

P010810_075601.jpg

take off the wheel and you can bet inside the drum will be saturated, probably need a new wheel cylinder

Its a HGT so doesn't have drums... Disc's all round

P010810_075601.jpg

Check onto of the fuel tank. My jtd had a hole in the pipe above that. Cos the fluid runs off the tank, it's very had to notice.

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

if there is no evidence of a leak in the caliper and you know roughly where it is, then clean it up and have somebody press the brake pedal while you look to see if you can pinpoint the leak. check the flexible pipe as well

Ok so i got under the car at the weekend and probed around the O/S rear brake...

I removed the 10mm bolt which holds the spring in place to aid release of the handbrake cable and cleaned up... Fluid appears to be leaking from where the arm for the handbrake goes into the calliper it is only slight but obviously enough to drain a full fluid tank over 6-8 weeks

When putting the spring and bolt back in place i nipped it up to tight and sheared the bolt off leaving the thread still in the caliper..

So a new O/S rear caliper is now required for sure.

P010810_075601.jpg

I think the best option is to try and find a decent one from a scrappy unless somebody on here has one