General Wheels

Currently reading:
General Wheels

jakeyr1991

Found some alloys for my 2004 cargo. There 4x98 so i know theyl fit and are 14 inch its just the tyres are 175/50r14 and i know the tyres tht are on are 175/70r14 so the width is bigger. Just wondering whether thyl look abit daft being abit smaller. Any1 else put smaller tyres on ?

Found some alloys for my 2004 cargo. There 4x98 so i know theyl fit and are 14 inch its just the tyres are 175/50r14 and i know the tyres tht are on are 175/70r14 so the width is bigger. Just wondering whether thyl look abit daft being abit smaller. Any1 else put smaller tyres on ?

Photoshop is good..or just cut CARD to the diameter and offer it up..!!;)

They would look ridiculous! You would need a new speedometer! Speedo would be 11.6% out, ie illegal. 70 mph on current wheels/tyres would be under 62 mph on alloys at same engine revs. Engine will work harder, lower mpg, faster acceleration.

They would look ridiculous! You would need a new speedometer! Speedo would be 11.6% out, ie illegal. 70 mph on current wheels/tyres would be under 62 mph on alloys at same engine revs. Engine will work harder, lower mpg, faster acceleration.

or conversely ;
if the speedo is @8% over reading NOW( within design parameters / legality)

it'll actually be MORE accurate after the swap..

just saying;)

Totally agree if the doblo speedos are out that much. I must check mine against satnav reading. I wanted to point out that things are never as simple as they seem.

I junked my 14" wheels and run 15" wheels - cant remember the profile off hand but I think it's 185/65 on the summers and a tad narrower on the winters (I'll check that and edit for you when it stops persisting down ;) )

So, 2 sets - one set of Alfa alloys for summer, set of 15" steels for winter. The summer (wider) set run *almost perfectly* legal vis the speedo - a tad *under* ie 130KPH on the clock I will be doing approx 125 - 126 KPH by GPS. The "winters" are less accurate, but in the right direction, at 130KPH clock they read about 121-123 GPS.

Pros: better mileage, less wear, higher speed - all marginally. Looks, far better. They look 'orrible on 14" rims IMHO..
Cons: higher gearing - again marginally - but unless you're loaded to the gunnels it's not going to matter.

The key is the profile - if you go for some kind of balloon ride on a wide 15", you'll pop the speed limit.

Sensible, you wont. You can actually do the sums yourself to work out the differences pretty accurately.

Last edited:
Back