General Wheel swap

Currently reading:
General Wheel swap

seagis

Hello, all . . .

I currently am in posession of a 1972 124 Sport Spider, and just purchased a 1979 X1/9 as well. I will have to make a 8 hour (one way) trip to retrieve the vehicle and will have to tow it home, as the tires currently on it are dry rotted.

My question is this: Will the wheels from the 124 fit on the X1/9? If so, I could save a good bit of time. I could remove the wheels from the 124 and take them with me, swap them out on location, and then tow the car home. If not, I'll have to buy two tires (two tires will be on the lift and two will maintain contact with the road . . . ) and have them mounted once I arrive at the destination.

If anyone knows right offhand if this is a feasible idea, I'd love to hear from you. I'll be leaving this weekend to retrieve the car.

Thanks!

Chris

You shouldn't have any trouble. The mounting is the same, the only possible difference being the width of the tyres and since the front wheels are going to be lifted then there is no possibility of the tyres rubbing the arches at the front on lock...

Back