Wheel Spacers- Are They Safe?

Currently reading:
Wheel Spacers- Are They Safe?

I fitted spacers to the rear of my first car (Reliant Robin) many years ago, and had no problems. I wouldn't fit them to a faster/heavier car, I'd change the wheels instead.

If machined to specified tolerances and used with the right bolts, yes they are safe. But this is only when they are used to correct a wheel's offset to match the car they are fitted to. Fitting spacers just to widen the track is unsafe since it increases the chance of catastrophic bearing failure, and increases the scrub radius, leading to very poor understeering characteristics.

Thanks for some very good advice chaps.

I was only going to use 5mm spacers that are specific to the Bravo to improve it's looks slightly as I think the wheels are set too far in but maybe it's best left as it is.

Last edited:
HAI

for everyone iam tadeus I have fiat punto and audi 6 also acytually i dont understand what you said in this thread because this statement are not adequate for understand so plz give me more information relevant thread .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

what?

Thanks for some very good advice chaps.

I was only going to use 5mm spacers that are specific to the Bravo to improve it's looks slightly as I think the wheels are set too far in but maybe it's best left as it is.

It may well be that the offset is wrong at the moment, and so spacers would make it safer since the load will not be offset from the wheel bearing.

First, consult this offset measuring guide to determine your wheel's offset. It may even be stamped in the metal.

Then find out what the offset should be on your Bravo (sorry, Punto guy here, no idea)

Subtract the offset that your car should have from the offset of the wheel. This value will be the thickness of spacer you require (if this value is negative, you've either transposed the values, or you need an anti-spacer, which involves having the wheel machined)

If spacers were not safe then Fiat would not fit them as standard on some of there cars.

Fiat Cinquecento Sporting has 3mm spacers at the front only.

Fiat Seicento Abarth/Schumi have 10mm spacers at the front as standard.

I can't remember which, I think Alfa 155 has 5mm spacers fitted as standard as well, I know because I bought 4 of them to fit to my integrale using the Alfa part number.

I would not use universal spacers, only correct centre bore/PCD hubcentric spacers to ensure the balance is all correct.

Back