Wheel noises

Currently reading:
Wheel noises

dieselmonkey

Hi I need advice please I have a Fiat Ducato based motorhome and I'm getting noise from the n/s front. I thought it was the wheel bearing as when turning to the left the noise stops I've replaced both wheel bearings but still the noise persists.
I've dipped the clutch in case maybe it was g/box but still the noise is there.
Someone suggested it may be the c/v joints any help would be appreciated
Diesel Monkey

It could be. Turn the wheels to full lock and reverse. If you hear clicking or feel notchiness then that’s the outer cv.

You can try feeling for slop in the driveshaft. With the beast jacked up on stands, try turning the wheel while holding the driveshaft tightly in position. It should not have any play or lag. Also try moving the driveshaft in and out.. feel for any play .. but this needs serious muscles so you can’t always do it, even if there is wear. Usually this would be the inner Cv.

If the van is fully loaded and that makes the sound worse, especially when travelling up hill or when you crest a ridge in the road.. (front suspension extended) that’s also a good sign.

If in doubt, you could pack more grease into the CVS and see whether that changes the noise. That would also piint to the CVs.

Ralf S.

Hi Lee I've tried these but it sounded more like a wheel bearing was away but I've changed both and still getting noise which goes when you turn wheels to the N/S I've also checked the rear wheels and all seems fine

Back