Technical What's the electrical problem with my Doblo?

Currently reading:
Technical What's the electrical problem with my Doblo?

rossgrd

Hi all!

I'm new here so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on what may be wrong with my 2006 petrol Doblo (1.4L 8v FIRE - I think?), it's been having an electrical issue.

Yesterday I drove for ~1hrs15mins (mostly country roads + motorways), the van was running totally fine. However, as I got back home to the city and was waiting at multiple traffic lights, the van began to have electrical faults as I was slowing down for a red light.

With the engine running, I would notice the engine and battery light appear on the dashboard, and the power steering would stop working. This happened twice, each time I simply stopped and restarted the car and the issue went away.

What could be wrong? My first thought is the alternator, but I've just had this replaced 3 weeks ago. Could it be a slipping serpentine belt (the belt does squeal when I start the engine)? The car may be overheating, although the temperature light did not come on.

Also, I'm planning to drive this weekend, is it safe to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Ross

Hi all!

I'm new here so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on what may be wrong with my 2006 petrol Doblo (1.4L 8v FIRE - I think?), it's been having an electrical issue.

Yesterday I drove for ~1hrs15mins (mostly country roads + motorways), the van was running totally fine. However, as I got back home to the city and was waiting at multiple traffic lights, the van began to have electrical faults as I was slowing down for a red light.

With the engine running, I would notice the engine and battery light appear on the dashboard, and the power steering would stop working. This happened twice, each time I simply stopped and restarted the car and the issue went away.

What could be wrong? My first thought is the alternator, but I've just had this replaced 3 weeks ago. Could it be a slipping serpentine belt (the belt does squeal when I start the engine)? The car may be overheating, although the temperature light did not come on.

Also, I'm planning to drive this weekend, is it safe to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Ross
It may be just low battery voltage caused by slipping serpentine belt, so get that corrected first.
Apart from that there have been many posts re earthing wires etc. and also would be good idea to have charging checked.
I assume you have the correct battery recommended for your model.

Hi Ross :)

Yes..posted in the correct place (y)

Ok..the basics

The power steering is Electrically assisted..
So charging system needs to be A1 : excellent

Low alternator output.. PAS will fail..RedSteeringWheel symbol

And Battery light will come on

Being 2014.. it may well have Stop:Start

Thats another great electrical test... ;)

If it cuts and restarts the engine - the battery is good (y)

Tell us more :)

@bugsymike @varesecrazy: Thanks both for the responses!

I think that the charging should be all well and good. I've just had both the battery and alternator replaced for an MOT - I can assume my mechanic would have checked the charging system was working appropriately. In any case, I've got a multimeter and will report back on voltage levels.

I think a good idea would be to replace the serpentine belt (the van is nearly at 100k miles now, it this be done anyway) - can anyone point me to a guide or other resource to do this easily for my engine? I would also appreciate any guidance in sourcing an appropriate part.

Finally, I've got a cheap OBD2 port scanner. Could that give me clues as to the electrical fault's cause?

I will report back tomorrow when I have some time over the weekend. Thanks again for the assistance!

Best,
Ross

@bugsymike @varesecrazy: Thanks both for the responses!

I think that the charging should be all well and good. I've just had both the battery and alternator replaced for an MOT - I can assume my mechanic would have checked the charging system was working appropriately. In any case, I've got a multimeter and will report back on voltage levels.

I think a good idea would be to replace the serpentine belt (the van is nearly at 100k miles now, it this be done anyway) - can anyone point me to a guide or other resource to do this easily for my engine? I would also appreciate any guidance in sourcing an appropriate part.

Finally, I've got a cheap OBD2 port scanner. Could that give me clues as to the electrical fault's cause?

I will report back tomorrow when I have some time over the weekend. Thanks again for the assistance!

Best,
Ross
Presumably a Haynes manual will give you the basics to fit the belts, probably a local trade parts supplier will be best to get the belts and more likely to identify from the Reg.No. correctly.
Don't know if this picture any help from a 2012 AutoData manual for petrol vehicles, if no aircon that is one belt less, is yours electric power steering as this pic seems to show a PAS pump, so may not be accurate , sorry.
If photo is the same as yours, as a clue if belt squeal gets worse turning steering it's the back belt the power steering one, so others would have to come off to change though not a problem if you are changing all of them , if it is the alternator belt it may get more noisy if you turn on headlights to increase the load, same if you have aircon and switch it on.

Attachments

• DSCF0870.JPG
    DSCF0870.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I may be wrong about the PAS..
Check on the bulkhead.. if you have a reservoir with Red..Or Black fluid and a chunky rubber hose at its base.. your Steering is Hydraulically assisted ;-)

There is a fairly common earth cable problem that can effect electrical systems..

But that audibly slipping belt needs attention 1st

Back