Technical What size and type are the sunroof screws?

Currently reading:
Technical What size and type are the sunroof screws?

smart51

Established member
I have polished the paint today having repainted the roof at the weekend. The last job was to refit the fabric roof. All the M4 nuts were there next to the socket set ready to fit them. The screws from each end were not there though. What size and type are they? I might have something that will do the job.

I have polished the paint today having repainted the roof at the weekend. The last job was to refit the fabric roof. All the M4 nuts were there next to the socket set ready to fit them. The screws from each end were not there though. What size and type are they? I might have something that will do the job.
They are famous for rusting through. The originals were fairly flat, pan-headed, plated, pozi or Philips self-tappers of approx M4.5 or M5 and fairly short. I got away with using modern M5 stainless self-tappers, but I think it's widely considered that a threaded insert and machine screw is advisable, especially as the hole will be worn.

They are famous for rusting through. The originals were fairly flat, pan-headed, plated, pozi or Philips self-tappers of approx M4.5 or M5 and fairly short. I got away with using modern M5 stainless self-tappers, but I think it's widely considered that a threaded insert and machine screw is advisable, especially as the hole will be worn.
I used 5mm "riv-nuts" and pan-headed allen screws for securing the ends of the sun-roof rear beam. A good tip is to try and get hold of some of the plastic film that Porsche use to protect the fronts of their VERY wide rear wheel arches. Cut to size and put a couple of layers round the front corners of the sun-roof aperture, where the FRONT beam touches the roof of the car when the roof is shut. This will protect the paint of the roof as the sun-roof has a nasty habit of taking the paint off those little corners,

I found the screws this evening. I'd put them in the lid of a spray can in the corner of the garage where they wouldn't be kicked over. The metal is still good where the holes are so I've left it as is. Rivnuts are a good idea though, if they ever come loose. I like the plastic film idea too.

Back