Technical what oil?

Currently reading:
Technical what oil?

Thanks Leo..am changing the oil this weekend. Should'nt I be using a 15w/40 instead of a 10w/40? Just wondered if anybody was particularly pleased with any specific brand?

Last edited:
I've used a wide variety of oils in my X1/9s over the years from some pretty cheap budget brands to top of the range semi and full synthetics. What I've learned is that beyond a point it doesn't make much difference because the engines have been significantly worn prior to my taking possession of the cars. The really good oils are largely wasted and even the cheaper oils are so good that they are more than up to the test, only the really cheap and nasty stuff (20w50 budget oils for example) are to be avoided.

Make sure you have decent filters and a working cooling system and generally the engine will be bulletproof. Just make sure you deal with oil leaks and make sure the engine has oil in it!

Thanks for all your comments. Ended up using Halfrauds 15w/40 semi-synthetic-£18.99 for 5 litres including a free quality screwdriver set (sucker!)

Back