Technical What does this do?

Currently reading:
Technical What does this do?

There is some kind of sensor with two wires from it located on my EVO's negative battery terminal. What does it do?

IMG20240304101203.jpg

Hello,
The numbers on the label would tell you everything. But yes, of course it's easier to ask on the forum instead of making a short research on the internet... :p
There are 30 or so numbers on there, so I really don't know which ones to use to bring back any useful info.

Thanks. So why does it only have two wires? Is there a signal going through them? It looked just like positive and negative.

Can't say for sure, But I would guess one is live, probably 3.3V or 5V DC derived from the ECU to power the processor inside the IBS, the other I believe is a LIN bus signal for the engine ECU to process.

Can't say for sure, But I would guess one is live, probably 3.3V or 5V DC derived from the ECU to power the processor inside the IBS, the other I believe is a LIN bus signal for the engine ECU to process.
I see now, so its a kind of computer signal. My stop start doesn't work, but that could be for a number of different reasons, the battery itself never fails.

I see now, so its a kind of computer signal. My stop start doesn't work, but that could be for a number of different reasons, the battery itself never fails.
Yes, I had the same problem with S/S not working. But mine wouldn't charge, battery kept going flat. S/S disabled itself.
I replaced Earth strap, then battery, then Alternator. Replaced the IBS just because it was part of the charging loop (and was cheap to replace), and it all started working.
I even measured the LIN bus signal at the alternator, which is also intelligent, and was ok, and if I disconnected the plug with the two wires on the IBS, the battery would charge.

Yes, I had the same problem with S/S not working. But mine wouldn't charge, battery kept going flat. S/S disabled itself.
I replaced Earth strap, then battery, then Alternator. Replaced the IBS just because it was part of the loop, and it all started working.
I even measured the LIN bus signal at the alternator, which was ok, and if I disconnected the plug with the two wires on the IBS, the battery would charge.
That was quite a big problem to fix. I've had the earth strap problem, and an alternator problem recently but on different cars.

I'd like to get the stop start working, but i see some batteries listed online as specifically "Stop Start" so i think rightly or wrongly i'd need to switch batteries because mine seems to be a high capacity but ordinary battery.

Yes it really needs to be a top class battery, ideally the biggest ampage and CCA for that battery compartment and connection positions.
The ECU disables the S/S if it determines the batterys charge state/condition isn't sufficient to run the S/S.

Even though I've fixed mine, I rarely use it.

My battery has a big CCA and ampage, the same as one listed as "Stop Start" for this EVO. I guess this means changing batteries wouldn't work, which I'm quite happy about anyway, because they cost £140!

At Halfords they list a replacement Stop Start battery with 550CA and 60A for this EVO, so mine would probably be OK. Unless there is some battery circuitry or other battery gizmo that these Stop Starts have.

Anyway gotta go drive it now, thanks for the info!

For cars equipped with the start and stop system only AGM or EFB batteries are suitable. A classic lead-acid battery won't be enough.

Make sure your battery is AGM or EFB type.

Looking at the photo of the post 1, I'd also clean the terminals.

Back