Technical What can this whirring noise be? (Video)

Currently reading:
Technical What can this whirring noise be? (Video)

Silent Chris

Hi All,

My 8v 1.2 2001 punto has recently started making an intermittent whirring/rubbing noise and just wondered if anyone can help narrow down what it could be (video below)

Seems to be coming from front N/S maybe the wheel. Starts over 20mph and normally when the car is warm. Lasts about 2-3 mins then stops maybe for 20 mins then sometimes comes back. The sound is fairly constant and not effected by clutch peddle, gear changes, acceleration or applying breaks apart from if I slow right down the noise becomes a whirr...whirr.....whirr..........whirr................whiiirr.....................whiiiiir......................stops, as if something on the wheel is rubbing.

Thought it might be wheel bearing but I think that's more of a low drone. I heard there's a thin metal guard plate behind the wheel disc that can rub. Anyone know best way to check this?

Here's a video of the sound, first with window closed then I opened window for a better listen. Any ideas very much appreciated.

http://youtu.be/TK8rVN0PbyQ

its a weird noise i think im hearing you correctly

Its like yes a shield near the brake just catching, and i mean JUST catching
Or there is abit of rust thats been grinding off with it

Personally, i'd be tempted to whip the wheel off and have a look - prod and a poke

Strip the brakes and find out if its actually the pads dragging or a shield rubbing

Does the nose at all present when sat in traffic? is it only when moving?

Ziggy

Thanks, I'll have a closer look at the wheel/brakes. And no, noise only happens when car is moving.

Chris

Back