Technical What a poorly designed car

Currently reading:
Technical What a poorly designed car

306maxi

STOP! Hammer time!
Changed the pollen filter on the 500 today. What a joke!

Obviously I understand the clutch pedal being in the way. It's not pretty but it works.

But my big issue is the fact that you have to use three different types of tools to do one simple job. You need a t25 torx driver, a 5.5mm hex key and then iirc a 4mm socket for the cover on the filter housing.

What kind of feckless idiot thought that was a good idea?

The place I work at does tooling for car companies like Jaguar Land Rover, Daimler, Ford, GM and others......

For bits of our tools which need will need servicing we specifically design our stuff to require as little in terms of different tools as required. After all if a production line goes down you want it sorted as quickly as possible.

How hard would it have been for Fiat to have designed it so only a T25 driver was required?

I'd have to agree with you!

Having personally worked in a workshop on plenty of cars; the fiats are defiantly the most tedious! Especially in the 500's engine bay, there's just no space in there!

Stylish, fun and a great drive anyway though ;)

Italian design and usability at its finest! :D

Seems to be a fairly common complaint among mechanics that they don't like working on FIATs.

I have posted a couple of times what a complete arse it is to change the pollen filter on these cars. It's no wonder some people don't want to change them. It takes less than 3 minutes to change the pollen filter on my Saab. Why Fiat had to locate the pollen filter where it is, is beyond me, but I'm assuming the Ford KA is exactly the same?

It's like that because it's probably easy for lhd cars, I can understand the access issues, but the tools required are just freaking moronic.

It's like that because it's probably easy for lhd cars, I can understand the access issues, but the tools required are just freaking moronic.

Good point, well presented lol! Still, even catering for the LHD market, doesn't excuse the fact you have to be a contortionist to change the sodding thing!

As for the tools, didn't really find it an issue for me as I have a vast tool kit anyway, but I do understand what you are driving at, it is moronic.

I had to buy a torx driver which wasn't the biggest problem, it was just the three different tools required when there only had to be one

Changed the pollen filter on the 500 today. … my big issue is the fact that you have to use three different types of tools to do one simple job. You need a t25 torx driver, a 5.5mm hex key and then iirc a 4mm socket for the cover on the filter housing.…

How hard would it have been for Fiat to have designed it so only a T25 driver was required?

Actually,that's all I need as a matter of fact. On my (left hand drive) 500, one TX25 screw holds the panel, while two 5.5mm hex screws would be holding the filter cover if someone had bothered to fit them at the factory. However, I’m not complaining as the filter cover presses down snugly and doesn’t come loose. No idea where a third tool would come in.

BTW, the first time I changed the pollen filter it took me about half an hour. Now, I’m down to 5 minutes. Piece of cake. :)

Well mine has a 4mm hex screw holding the filter cover on and a two screws that require a 6mm hex key that hold the trim panel on.

Actually,that's all I need as a matter of fact. On my (left hand drive) 500, one TX25 screw holds the panel, while two 5.5mm hex screws would be holding the filter cover if someone had bothered to fit them at the factory. However, I’m not complaining as the filter cover presses down snugly and doesn’t come loose. No idea where a third tool would come in.

BTW, the first time I changed the pollen filter it took me about half an hour. Now, I’m down to 5 minutes. Piece of cake. :)

The car was designed to be left hand drive, because ours is right hand drive we have pedals and steering column in the way.
I have to either snap it in half or deform the filter to get it in, ONLY way to
Do it with out taking column and dash out, cos it was made for a left hand drive car :(

Back