Technical Wet carpet

Currently reading:
Technical Wet carpet

BURNER

Hi there,
This question might sound obvious, but I've noticed a wet carpet under my rubber mats in the driver's front footwell. Carpet dry around pedal area. It seems to be wettest just at base of driver's seat. Is the Matrix leaking. Car is running fine with no overheating.

Check the sunroof, and the door seals... and... the boot, sometimes water gets in the boot, and tracks forward until it reaches a good place to make a puddle!

Also(depending on model/year)it could be coming in from the door speaker if it hasnt been sealed properly.Unfortunally best way to check is remove door panel & put hose on car-you will see water drip inside the door thats normal-but you might also see it come out from the speaker cut out(it runs down the wiring)if it does re-route the wiring & use sealer around the speaker cut out,hope its something more obvious/easier though,good luck!

Thanks for replies. I had the typical Winscreen white dust/steam problem a few weeks ago, and it seems to be sorted since using Barrs Leak. The car is an MK1 Punto 55s, 3 door, 1997. Checked Coolant levels via Expansion Tank and no apparent loss.

I had a similar problem a few weeks back when we had all the bad weather. Turned out to be the lining on the inside of the drivers side door was missing and so when it was wet out, the car was wet in too!

Got it down at the garage where i bought it from for nothing as it was they that took it off to fix electric window before sale.

Hi,
Yep, it's the Matrix. On further inspection (pulled carpets up), the wetness was coolant and was running from an area behind the radio console and over the gear box tunnel, flowing under the carpets and pooling at base of both front seats. Used Barrs Leak, and touch wood, it seems to have sorted it. Thanks for replies.

Back