Technical Weird Starting Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Weird Starting Issue

mattprince

2013 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Maxi 130 Euro 5

Anybody else have this problem? Put the keys in and turn to the ignition lights and wait a few seconds so the glow plugs have chance to warm. Turn the key to start and nothing, engine doesn’t turn over or even make a noise. Most of the time the second turn does it but it’s just taken 4 times to get it to start. Doors open and lock fine so can’t see it being the fob battery.

Hi

The key fob battery only works the locking, so it doesn't affect cranking

The immobiliser chip in the key fob enables the fuel injection via the ECU, but doesn't affect cranking

I assume that your main starter battery is OK and that when it does decide to crank the speed of turning over is normal and not sluggish.

I suggest beginning with checking the starter contacts within the ignition switch, and the wiring from there to the starter solenoid. If you have a test meter, check that you are getting full battery voltage (about 12 volts) between the solenoid (smaller) terminal on the starter motor and the engine block ground - you will need crocodile clips or an assistant holding the probes on firmly. Starter solenoids draw quite a high initial current (tens of amps) so the wiring and contacts must be in good shape or it won't pull in with enough strength to close the main contacts and energise the motor.

If a good 12 volts is reaching the solenoid but still no cranking, the finger of suspicion points to the starter motor.

How long do you leave, when you turn the keys to ignition lights, before turning to start? I left it probably 5/6 seconds. Somebody on Facebook said to leave it 10 seconds. Done that and it’s been fine all day.

I w
How long do you leave, when you turn the keys to ignition lights, before turning to start? I left it probably 5/6 seconds. Somebody on Facebook said to leave it 10 seconds. Done that and it’s been fine all day.
I wait until the self check phase has completed, and I am left with battery, and oil warning lights.

Back