General Weel alignments bolts/nuts (Remove)

Currently reading:
General Weel alignments bolts/nuts (Remove)

LuiP

Hi everyone

Yesterday i wanted to install 2 small weel spacers because the alu-weels i got is a little to wide. They touch the inner side of the car (Wheel house)
But when i remove the wheel it self there is 2 small alignments bolts so i can't get the spacers to fit ?
I noticed that the 2 alignments bolts are holding the brake drum together so if i remove them i can take the brake house apart.
Are they needed or can i just remove them ? I saw here at the forum that others said, just remove them. It works without.
Se photo what i mean.

1404420_eixo-traseiro-fiat-punto-van-de-2000-a-2003.jpeg

It's a Fiat Punto II 1.2 60 (188) facelift from 2005

As i said i tried to install the spacers yesterday but when i removed the 2 alignments bolts the brake drum could go apart.
Is it safe only with the normally wheel bolts ???

Thank you very much.

BR
Lui

Last edited:
Without those alignment bolts, the drum can just come straight off, and when aligning the wheel at the end to put the lugs in, the drum may spin and the holes won’t be aligned with the holes on the hub. You can just get some countersunk bolts to replace those little studs and you’ll be good to go. Aslong as they’re flush, you won’t have a problem with spacers

I was told, so take this with grain of salt, that those things break very easily and I also noticed you can buy them new because of that reason
Good luck

Mine seem to have always come off fine. Same car aswel. 2005 punto, 4 door, 1.2 8v. Soak them in loads of WD-40 and just hope for the best. First time I took mine off though I did use a manual impact socket

This is the tool I used. That’s just a cheap copy that I could find quickly. definitely recommend investing in one of them

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Without those alignment bolts, the drum can just come straight off, and when aligning the wheel at the end to put the lugs in, the drum may spin and the holes won’t be aligned with the holes on the hub. You can just get some countersunk bolts to replace those little studs and you’ll be good to go. Aslong as they’re flush, you won’t have a problem with spacers
Hi BenWheatz

Thx for your replay. It was because someone else told me just to trash the alignments bolts when you install the wheel the normal bolt will hold it anyway but i guess not.
Can you help me with what the bolt i could change them with is called. I have tried all day to figure out what they are called and i was not lucky.
Maybe you have a link or can tell me what exactly the name of those other bolts are, the countersunk bolts to replace those little studs you said.
I don't want to buy something wrong. I want to do it right. I just need the same just some that it is not sticking out.

Like this:

Skærmbillede 2023-07-03 kl. 22.48.01.png

Thanks again for the help so far.

Last edited:
Mine seem to have always come off fine. Same car aswel. 2005 punto, 4 door, 1.2 8v. Soak them in loads of WD-40 and just hope for the best. First time I took mine off though I did use a manual impact socket

This is the tool I used. That’s just a cheap copy that I could find quickly. definitely recommend investing in one of them
Its not that i can' get them oof. They are super easy to remove. My question was if it was okay to remove them because i cannot get the wheel spacers to fit when those alignments bolts sticks out. Someone told me it was ok to just remove them total and leave them out.

I saw this fourm thats why i ask. They said it was ok to remove them and just use only the normal wheel bolts. Thats why i ask.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You are fine to use the spacers without them bolts but it’s just a pain to line up the holes. Especially when the hub spins but the drum stays where it is. The shoes are usually tight enough to keep everything where it is though 9 times out of 10

You are fine to use the spacers without them bolts but it’s just a pain to line up the holes. Especially when the hub spins but the drum stays where it is. The shoes are usually tight enough to keep everything where it is though 9 times out of 10
👍🏻

Perfect. Thx so much for the help. I will buy those bolts and use instead. Better to be safe and right 👌🏻 thanks
The thread reminds me I have wanted to make an alignment tool to fit in a stud hole to hang the wheel on instead of having to fight against those alignment studs when putting the aluminium summer wheels on. Maybe just replace them with flush bolts is easier.

Edit: But wait a minute the winter tyres are easier to fit because you can see the alignment hole in the steel wheel as you place the wheel on the hub and you can hang the wheel there as you reach for a bolt?

Last edited:
👍🏻
The thread reminds me I have wanted to make an alignment tool to fit in a stud hole to hang the wheel on instead of having to fight against those alignment studs when putting the aluminium summer wheels on. Maybe just replace them with flush bolts is easier.

Edit: But wait a minute the winter tyres are easier to fit because you can see the alignment hole in the steel wheel as you place the wheel on the hub and you can hang the wheel there as you reach for a bolt?
Hi there.

Thx for the suggestion. What is flush bolts ?

Back