Technical water leak

Currently reading:
Technical water leak

N&J

Hi,

I have a small coolant leak that I cant trace. It seems to come from one of the two small gauge pipes at the bottom on the oil filter housing on my 08 nosejob. I'm pretty sure that its not from the pipes themselves as both seem to be in good condition and I've replaced the clips. Could it be from the water pump?

Any ideas gratefully welcomed!

Nick

The item the pipes feed into is the oil cooler and being made of painted mild steel they corrode quite badly. I would guess you have a small hole in it - best to remove the pipes and have a good look. Remember you will lose your coolant when you do this. It is a fairly easy item to replace - the oil filter has to be removed but it is a bit mucky and you should be able to pick a good second hand one as the same item is fitted to a number of FIAT vehicles. I would guess a new one is quite dear.
I hope this helps.
Regards
Stephen

Thanks Stephen,I'll check it out at the weekend when Im replacing discs and pads.

Nick

Anyone an ideas about where to get hold of an Oil cooler?
Oonline dismantlers are quoting £54 but seem to have trouble finding one in good condition. Doesn't look like a precision part to me so how FIAT suppliers arrive at a whopping £174 for a new one beats me.
I think that its a part shared by the Alfa and also Doblo and Ducato vans so cant be that rare. Anyone know of a possible supplier?

Nick

Well, if it were me I would remove the oil cooler and give it a good clean up to see what's what. The normal problem is corrosion where the hose ends and where road salt can fester against the pipes and quietly puts a hole in one of the pipes [usually]. The chances are it will be a small hole so take it to someone who has the kit and braze up the hole. Give it a good coat of something thick and black and the job will be a good-un. Probably cost you tenner tops.
Regards
Stephen

Thanks Stephen,
That sounds like a good plan. Can't do without the car for long so will have to time it carefully. Thanks for the tip.

Nick

Unfortunately, I cant find any leaks on the body of the oil cooler. I have not removed it to inspect fully as I bought a spare from ebay to fit but appears to be slightly different (To be fair, it was itemised as an Alfa 159 item - so no fault on the seller. - just my misidentification).
Does anyone know of a replacement source? I think the Ducato van might fit but I've been here before.....

Nick

Back