Technical Water into Ducato engine bay

Currently reading:
Technical Water into Ducato engine bay

Cads

My Avida motorhome is built on a Fiat Ducato Chassis - 2012 model. Water regularly comes off the windscreen and into the engine bay dripping on to the accessories belt and into the adjustable pulley. The pulley bearing and the belt are affected. This has resulted in the pulley and belt being replaced three times in the last four years. Fiat do not seem to have a solution to this problem. The cause seems to be that the small drain pockets at the side cannot get rid of the water quickly enough and they overflow. The one on the passenger side overflows but a cover is present to protect the electrics underneath. I regularly make sure that the drain tubes are clear and have in fact fitted new ones recently because the others perished. I would be grateful if someone with a similar vehicle could help me overcome this problem as I don't want to have to replace the parts on a continuing regular basis!!
Thanks in anticipation. Cheers, Calum

Search “water ingress” there’s probably 100’s of threads on modifications you can do,
I posted photos of my mod I did 4yrs ago on my 2012 Ducato

Your scuttle panel will leak where it joins on window you need to remove your bonnet ,then remove screws that secure scuttle panels down ,remove both window wiper arms pull 2 sections of panel off there are 10 red plastic clips that hold panels down they become weak so replace them check two foam plates are present under wiper arm ,if panels look distorted replace them .clean window and remove the foam off bottom of window if it’s water saturated , remove foam off right side scuttle panel in middle,when you reseal panels onto window use black Kent use plenty all across back of panels in the recess areas and where the two panels join in middle this is the troublesome area to use plenty of sealant ,you must also use sealant around the two plates under wiper arms,there is a part number for better plastic securing clips for use under panels but they are expensive ,is rubber drain pipe present and ok on right side outer panel? the 2 small tubes on outer corners seal in with Kent too but they soon block up when complete let it seal then get watering can ,cross your fingers then poor water across window under wiper blades with plenty in middle and see if it’s a successful repair

there are varous places the water gets into engine bay there are varous methods to sort this iv studied this and sorted all the varous problems,

i have a page dedicated to sorting this issue and other problems on a ducato., facebook "ducato rebuild"
you can extend the water drainage hopse also some of the allan screws along bas of windscreen can fail incl some black sealand can sort other water issues ,, but need sorted asap or will create issues with gearboz and engine bay metal work

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my 2012 van conversion I had Fiat change the lower plastic trim under warranty this did not solve the problem I contacted Fiat customer services a few times
In the end they said it was acceptable for water to enter the engine compartment .
What a waste of time they are .
I tired a few thing to stop the water ingress .in the end I made up a water proof blanket wired to the body above the engine across the back and tucked down the back of the engine ,to save water getting onto the injectors . Its been working fine and has covered about 25k with out any problems . It works for me !

If the dealer had sealed new panels down with good sealant correctly it wouldn’t of leaked yes it’s bad that you have to use silicone to sort problem out , Iv seen all sorts of modifications for channeling water great for any owner to do , the fiat silicone recommended for the job not very good, Iv never used it because it’s more like a watery tooth paste, black Kent sealant a lot thicker and stronger bond

Back