General Was all the MK1 Uno turbo grills painted?

Currently reading:
General Was all the MK1 Uno turbo grills painted?

I'm trying to picture a painted one actually. I know 3 that had un painted black grilles.

Tom

Not sure if this was a standard thing or an op extra for the mk1 uno turbo or these were painted by there owners!
Mine is not painted but have beem told it should be painted the same colour as the car!
Has anyone got any information on this please?

I think it depends on the colour. Now i've been thinking about it i can picture lots of red mk1's with coloured grilles but no gun metal mk1's..

Thoughts on that?

Tom

They are all painted originally afaik. The painted grills are actually different to accept the paint. Even black cars have black painted grills not just black plastic. I have not seen a colour that has not have a colour coded grill.

Na my silver one had an unpainted bumper-grey coloured grille, and my dad's non-turbo 999cc in gunmetal.

Some uno turbos had painted grilles, and non painted grilles, dependant on the colour. I came acoss a met grey car in a scrap yard the other day, and that had its original black unpainted grilee with original turbo i.e badge on it. I don't think many cars came with colour coded grille, and can't confirm which colours other than white were colour coded, but I have seen loads of mk1 turbos with unpainted grille over the last 15 years.

I'm fairly sure that most mk1 Uno turbo's that I've seen as standard had body coloured grills. This applies most definitely to all UT's in official advertising, as those ALL had body coloured grills.

However, the grills have a habit of breaking off their tabs on the ends, so it's not unusual for them to be replaced with standard black grills. Maybe that's why there are some around now with non body coloured grills?

I used to sell fiats, and back in 1991 I was seeing various mk1 turbos with unpainted grilles, which had the original turbo i.e emblem on the bottom right hand side, so I'm sticking to my guns! ;) Red and white mk1 turbos certainly had them colour coded, but due to old age and dementia, I can't recall which other colours had 'em! I'll have a look in my literature to try to get some more info when I can.

Theres a light blue antiskid on ebay last time i looked that has also A painted grill.
Going to need some more research into this one to be sure!:bang:

Its easy to swap a grill and or the turbo i.e. badge. The badges fit all the grills, even mk2 and Tipos etc.

It seems unlikley it would be an option. I have seen pained grills in all colours including black.

Ive never seen an unpained new uno turbo grill. However the finish of the plastic parts intended to be painted is different to the normal unpained black plastic. The finish is a white colour. The unpainted black grills, wing mirrors too, are very difficult to paint.

I believe that all Uno Turbo grilles were body colour from 1988. The standard colours of that era being Red, White, Electric blue, Silver, Graphite Grey and Black. This coincided with the new cloth interior, red seatbelts, body coloured mirrors, antiskid option, two tone graphite centred wheels and blacked out b-pillars. Do I sound sad? Probably..................M.

NZ never got the "facelift" Mk1 turbos. 88-89 turbos did have the Tipo gearbox but they were the same otherwise to the earlier ones.

Depends on the market I guess.

Back