Nortonguy

500 (Classic) (Wanted) Wanted: 500 F choke assembly (classic)

Not seen one of those damaged like that before. There is a good chance I will have one in my spare parts and I am quite use to posting items outside of the UK. I do have to say that I wonder about the state of the rest of the carb from what you say. According to my book a 500F carb should be a Weber 26IMB6.

After thinking it over, replacing the carb will be the best option. No sense in repairing it piecemeal and wasting time, it's a customer's car and he's not too concerned about $$ so I'll get a new one and be done with it. Lots of other items to fix any way.
Thanks for the advice and any idea what would be different about the MB6 versus the 10? I'm pretty sure sure this has to be the original.

D

If you are looking for new you will pretty much find that impossible unless you are extremely lucky. The new ones that are available are all Spanish made under licence carbs which are unlike the originals. You would be well advised to do some research on the forum as some of these have been a problem from new. There were even suspected Chinese fakes that were even worse. A properly refurbished original would be the way to go if you want originality.

After shopping around it looks like Gerstl and FD Ricambi have new choke cover assemblies for around $50 so I think I'm going to go for repairing instead of replacing the whole carb. It needs a new bakelite spacer anyway as it is pretty warped and has some hairline cracks. For a simple little engine they failed in the carburetor department. Having owned a number of Fiats over the years though it's just part of the experience.

Back