walkie talkies

Currently reading:
walkie talkies

Afternoon everyone while watching btcc with the family we've been discussing our holiday plans. We plan on using my car and my dads car.
Now I know we all have mobile phones but id like to get two walkie talkies so me and my dad can communicate while travelling on the motorway obviously the passenger will be doing the communicating( like top gear do on there challenges )
Ive never bought anything like this before so im looking for recommendations.

Cheers in advance.

Cb radios require licences, cheap walkie talkies don't

£20 will get you a couple of handsets from amazon which will work for upto 3km, you don't need anything fancy

Wrong
"You don't need to hold a Wireless Telegraphy (WT) Act licence in order to operate Citizens’ Band Radio equipment, providing that the equipment is operated in accordance with the WT (Exemption) (Amendment) Regulations 2006. Click here for more information."

Walkies Talkies are poor tbh. Kids play toys.

Get a set of rechargeable ones if you can. I got a Binatone Terrain 550 set a few years back and still going strong. 5 mile range (in the clear), subchannels etc for about £30. The newer version is on Amazon for about £40:
Binatone Terrain 750 Twin Walkie Talkie: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Really cheap these days as mobile phones have taken over and the electronics have become standardised and mass produced in the east.

Two way radios can be used when driving as they are not a mobile phone....

I have some beofeng radios technically you need a licence but you can wind the power down and add the PMR frequency s to them but maintain UHF transmitting ability. Which you can use to summon assistance via ch16 etc if your into boats or MRT in the hills I am looking into a licence ATM

Last edited:
Get a set of rechargeable ones if you can. I got a Binatone Terrain 550 set a few years back and still going strong. 5 mile range (in the clear), subchannels etc for about £30. The newer version is on Amazon for about £40:
Binatone Terrain 750 Twin Walkie Talkie: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Really cheap these days as mobile phones have taken over and the electronics have become standardised and mass produced in the east.

Thats the sort of thing im looking for. I know youve got the older ones but whats the battery life like ?

The license will open up a whole new world of radio communications that will have the young'uns looking at you rather weird.

When I talk about how exciting it is to be able to contact someone in another country with a radio they look at me puzzled because every day they play against people from all over the world and talk to them through the internet.

Its a challenge, like fishing, mountaineering, canoing down a whitewater river etc is a challenge.

I spoke to someone in Africa last year, not that exciting because I was using my Nexus7 tablet but he was on a radio lol.

Baofeng UV-5R use at the moment is I understand being investigated by OFCOM who are clamping down on it, might be Chinese whispers but be careful not to use frequencies that you should not. When my son got one for airsoft I had to point out to him that the channel they had chosen was for medical devices.

Some PMR radios for car to car use can be very useful, especially as you can then take the with you wherever you go (which is harder to do with a CB setup).
If getting walkie talkies, get rechargeable batteries and the car charger too.
incidentally you dont need a CB license, and the use of USB may soon be legal in the UK (meaning we can have long distance conversations given good conditions).

Now I'll crawl back into the ether while I get strange looks from people with mobiles that chat to the states etc daily.

Last edited:
Baofeng UV-5R use at the moment is I understand being investigated by OFCOM who are clamping down on it, might be Chinese whispers but be careful not to use frequencies that you should not. When my son got one for airsoft I had to point out to him that the channel they had chosen was for medical devices.

I'm aware of that only carry one for emergency use wonder what happens if you take your car key when you go on holiday to Japan (following on from a thread in the gp section)

Moblile phone signal is crap round here...
http://csy.uk.com/Ambulance.pdf

Like lots of things in the UK its legal to own something but not use it.....