IMAG0048.jpg

Cinquecento Vitorio's 350 buck headgasket special

Introduction

Well guys, i figure with all the questions and advice that i've been badgering you guys about, i'd make a thread about my cinq.

Last year after getting settled in the new house (which has a massive garage), i started looking for something to put in that garage, after getting rid of my old and somewhat failed hobby project, an alfa 33. The reason i didnt do much on the alfa, besides not having a garage for most of the time i had it, was also that i just couldnt think of any fun things to do with it, i briefly entertained the notion of a supercharger, but quickly realized that would be about thirty-three times more advanced than what i could handle.

So after some looking around i decided that a cinq would be a good starter project to cut my teeth on some actual tinkering, since a cinq is relatively simple in terms of technology, and practically every part on it can be upgraded with cheap performance upgrades, up to complete engine swaps.

So after looking at various cinqs and dealing with some rather unscrupulous salesmen, i found this gem:

IMAG0048.jpg

a '96 sporting with approximately 95K miles on the clock, looking good, save for a blown headgasket. The colourfull floormats with embroided bees on the were a clear tip-off that it had been on shoppig cart duty for its last few years. I had a good look around and found very little rust, just the read bumper support and the back box which had completely lost the end-pipe.

I shook the mans hand for 350 euros (quite a steal i think, since with a fixed head gasket it would have been easily 750 i think), and five days later it was dropped off at my doorstep, so i could put it in the garage.

My plans for the cinq are to make it as close to a racer as i can, while having it road-legal, and usable on the road (so no extremely low drops or slick tires).

My plans:
- replace back box (done)
- strip out interior + rear seats (done)
- repair head gasket (doing)
- fit 38 mm TB (on the shelf ready when the head goes back on)
- fit 866 Cam (in the mail as we speak)
- fit open air filter (got a pipercross on the shelf)
- Chip the ecu
- inspect brakes for MOT and if need be replace with upgrades, otherwise upgrades later on
- drop it 30/40 mm, replace shocks as well
- front strut brace
- rear brace between seat mountings (perhaps?)

So that should keep me occupied for a nice while, once i get all that done and my wallet has had time to recover, i have plenty of new plans involving 14" OZ rims, punto GT brakes and engine swapping, but that is all at least a year off currently, first priority is to get it going again and pass MOT, and enjoy the pepped up 1108 over the summer.

I'll leave you guys with a pic of how it is sitting right now:

IMAG0238.jpg
Well, i figured i'd just leave the engine for what it is right now and tackle some other MOT nigles, and i'm really starting to wonder where the hell the previous owner found a blind MOT inspector :S

After having a good look at the front discs i decided to take them off, since they clearly need to be changed (had a good lip around the outside edge), i found out the rightside axle cover has a giant tear in it. The handbrake also feels quite unimpressive, so i'll probably end up doing a full brake rebuild, and as soon as i get over my fear of brake-fluid, i'll have the calipers off and put some hammerite on there.

Starting to turn into a real multi-year project this, thank god the parts for these buggers cost next to nothing.

Any hope i had of getting the car out on the road this year just disintegrated on my garage floor in a pile of rust, as i poked my 13 mil spanner right through the rear beam :(

That combined with the general feel that the car just has about 5 years of maintenance neglect has made me decide to not try and drive it this year, i dont have the funds to get this fixed right now anyway, so i'll just take it slow and rebuild the entire car, i plan on dropping the rear beam, painting that, replacing everything that looks even a bit shoddy etc..

Might take me a few years, but if all goes well i hope to end up with a car way better then it ever rolled off the assembly line.

So sorry to hear that mate :(

Yeah, on the one hand i'm pretty devestated, i really had my heart set of having it on the road this year and perhaps doing a trackday at the end of summer, and that's just not going to happen, both time and money wise i dont have a realistic option to get it all sorted, since i dont want to have some bodge-job on it.

On the other hand it sort of frees me up, i dont have any stress about trying to sneak it through MOT soon, dont have any hard choices on what part to spend my money on, i just gave myself an extra year to get it all sorted properly. This gives me some time to find the 14" rims i need for my big brake upgrade etc.. Seriously considering an engineswap as well at this point.

So on the one hand im gutted about not getting to drive it soon, on the other hand it frees me up to really get stuck in and do things right.

Hope you have it sorted soon. IF you are in the UK rear beam from a seicento is not expensive. I got my rear beam and 2 arms for £60 from a 03 seicento :).

if is mechnical work you are worried about, they won't take long to sort out :).

Ming

Hope you have it sorted soon. IF you are in the UK rear beam from a seicento is not expensive. I got my rear beam and 2 arms for £60 from a 03 seicento :).

if is mechnical work you are worried about, they won't take long to sort out :).

Ming

My previous post on the rust wasnt quite as accurate as it could have been, the rear cross-beam (the ones the suspension arms are mounted to) seems to be OK, a little surface rust so far, but nothing a steelbrush and some hamerite wont fix (although i reserve judgement untill i have the thing out from under it). The rear left chasis beam, the one holding the rear bumper mount etc.., that is the one currently residing on my garage floor as a small brown pile (i embellish, but you get the gist)

So i need to find a local place with an arc-welding course, might as well get stuck in on that too, had to sooner or later, with the liking italian cars and all :bang:

Well, time for a small update:

I've decided to shelve any upgrade plans for the time being, so my PGT brakes are back on the shelf, i wont be ordering any FK stuff yet, and i've given up on finding my ideal set of 14" rims.

What i will be doing, is trying to fix all the current problems ASAP and see if i can get it MOTed, then drive it around for a while. So far i've driven a grand total of 100 yards in a cinq, which had a blown gasket and a failed ignition lead, so i want to find out if these things actually are worth the trouble for an occasional weekend hoon.

So i just ordered two new tires, tomorrow i'll be cleaning and hammeriting the brake calipers, and checking out the rear drums if i have the time. I've also bought some arc-welding gear, so i'll be practicing on that the coming weeks/months

No pics, but i'll see if i can put some up when i got my calipers painted.

Odd, the GTV had that busso V6, should do about 235 bhp. The 24v bussos supposedly do need some revs to come into their own though, the 12v blocks are supposedly a bit more torquey down in the rev range.

my boss/neighbour has the 2.0 twin spark gtv and it is epic! after a few mods the handling is pretty much perfect and its pretty quick around castle combe... he put a 1.6 badge on it off a 147 he was breaking, really p****s people off when they get ripped past by a '1.6' while campaining their '3.0 escrot turbo' haha seriously gtv is an awesome car!

my boss/neighbour has the 2.0 twin spark gtv and it is epic! after a few mods the handling is pretty much perfect and its pretty quick around castle combe... he put a 1.6 badge on it off a 147 he was breaking, really p****s people off when they get ripped past by a '1.6' while campaining their '3.0 escrot turbo' haha seriously gtv is an awesome car!

no motor-head worth his salt would be fooled by a 1.6 badge on a GTV though ;)

And i do hope that i get around to driving a GTV eventually, the only car i want more is a ferrari 308

no motor-head worth his salt would be fooled by a 1.6 badge on a GTV though ;)

And i do hope that i get around to driving a GTV eventually, the only car i want more is a ferrari 308

yeah they all seem to be fooled by it... no one queried him yet! :L

his other toys a ferrari 355 he was gonna go for the 308 but and i quote 'it doesnt have enough power'

Well, i'm throwing in the towel with regards to the cinq. Yesterday while poking around the front suspenion i discovered that most likely the front shocks will need work at least, replacing at worst, then poking around the rear showed more rust yet again. I then made a list of all the work it'd need to get it back on the road, and quickly figured out that for the same money i could probably find something more interesting to drive.

I've allready begun selling it for parts, i figure i could recoupe some of the costs and consider the rest of the money spent on educating myself and enjoying doing some engine work.

I do feel bad about not getting to enjoy the cinq, but reasonably i'd just be pissing away another grand to end up with a car i could buy for 500 bucks

Thanks everyone for the helpfull stuff here on the forum, and to all the dutch guys, if you want some parts PM me, it is all up for grabs.

Back