Technical Vibration in reverse

Currently reading:
Technical Vibration in reverse

Seicento Sporting SPI 2000 67K miles

Mornin folks.
Fitted a new gearbox mount on my Sei yesterday, the old one was pretty grim.

Anyhoo, since fitting, I've now got a strong vibration through the car when I reverse
out of my slightly up hill and lumpy drive way.
Gear doesn't slip, it just vibrates the car.
Seems OK forward through the gears, pretty smooth....
Was perfectely fine before I changed the mount.
All bolts nice and tight and the mount is the right way up (metal dome to the floor pan).

Wondering if there are different mounts. It looked similar, only thing was the metal domed bit was a tad smaller on this one compared with the old...
Got the mount from EuroCarCare
Any suggestions would be great

Phil

Hi I have the same issue on my cinq and recently put a post up about replacing the gearbox mount. I'll watch this thread to see what others may suggest.hope it's nothing too serious.

Right...
Been under to check and the mount is the right way up and all bolts tight.
Checked the front NS mount and that's OK.

From reading on the tinternet, there seems to be confusing info as to whether a Sei
mount and a Cinq mount are the same.
I ordered a Sei mount from Eurocarcare but it seems different to the ones pictured
on a Polish site.
The one I have and have just fitted is a Cinq mount it seems (difference in domed top plate).
Rang Eurocarcare and he did some searching for me. He reckons the one I have is
the correct one for my car:confused:

Anyhoo, I've ordered from Poland a mount that is supposed to be for a Sei (different part numbers from the one I just fitted) and it
has the same larger domed plate as my original

Picture shows different dome plates....
Maybe they could be of differing stifness which might be causing the vibration..
When it comes, I'll stick it on and report back here...as I say, there was no vibration
with the old mount, just a clunk when starting the engine (that's gone now)

Bloomin confusing..:mad:

mount.jpg

shouldnt make any difference. i have filled all 3 of my mounts with polyurethane and they are pretty stiff and i get no juddering or vibration.

does the car vibrate when you reverse on a flat piece of road?

shouldnt make any difference. i have filled all 3 of my mounts with polyurethane and they are pretty stiff and i get no juddering or vibration.

does the car vibrate when you reverse on a flat piece of road?

No mate, just on a rise..
Wasn't doing it before I changed the mount....
Other mount should be here in a few days so we shall see...

Phil

if you try slipping the clutch a bit more than normal under those conditions does the vibration get any better? is the clutch pretty old? how many miles has the car done?

if you try slipping the clutch a bit more than normal under those conditions does the vibration get any better? is the clutch pretty old? how many miles has the car done?

I usualy reverse out and the slower I go, the worse is the vibration, no apparent clutch slip.
Clutch was replaced all new about 9 months ago.
Gearbox oil replaced 2 months ago.

Car has done 67K miles(y)

Phil

Last edited:
sorry, what i meant, is try slipping the clutch as you move. depress the pedal slightly more and use more revs to move.
sometimes clutches can judder and for some reason it can be worse in reverse. i had a terrible one in the past on one of my toyotas and it was brand new. juddered horribly from new until i burnt it out.

if you slip it as you move then it tends to lessen the clutch judder. your knackered mount probably allowed the engine and box to move about rather than the judder being transferred through the car as it is now with a decent mount.

if this makes no difference then it could be a gearbox issue.

Tried clutch slipping but can't get a definitive result from that...
Seems to be at certain speed/revs when it kicks up...

See your point about it not showing up before due to a "soft" mount, that
makes sense(y)
Anyhoo, will change the mount again when the other arrives. Worth a try
but if it's gearbox related then that's not good news at all...

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated by this old car numpty:D

Phil

WoooopyDooooo:woot:

Fixed the reverse shake....
Gearbox mount which looked exactly like the original one arrived from Poland
this morning.
Stuck it on and shakes are gone.

The one I got from EuroCarCare which is supposed to fit both Sei and Cinq
but resulted in reverse shakes, looks quite a lot different.
Posted some pictures but the Sei one (bigger top domed plate) is much beefier rubber wise especialy under the domed plate,and stiffer.
Also, the white plastic part is longer....

Anyhoo, problem solved which is good....
Phil

GboxMounts.jpg

GboxMounts.jpg

Last edited:
Back