Van Hire

Currently reading:
Van Hire

Just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice :)

Looking to hire a van to help my cousin move from Oxford to Glasgow at the start of June. My first query is payment, most companies if not all seem to insist on credit card payment - does anyone know of any that will take a payment via debit card or, at worst, from a third party (ie my cousin)

Failing that, does anyone know of any cheap vans for sale? :D needs to be transit size/3 seater.

Cheapest place local to me are these guys... http://www.akrental.co.uk/ ...and from memory they didn't require any silly deposits or credit card payment which was a bonus. Vans were in decent nick too and overall cheaper than Enterprise and others. They're just near Glasgow Airport for reference.

On a related note, if I'm free and required I'll supply an extra pair of hands to assist in the move if you like :)

muppet42 said:
Cheapest place local to me are these guys... http://www.akrental.co.uk/ ...and from memory they didn't require any silly deposits or credit card payment which was a bonus. Vans were in decent nick too and overall cheaper than Enterprise and others. They're just near Glasgow Airport for reference.

On a related note, if I'm free and required I'll supply an extra pair of hands to assist in the move if you like :)

Cheers mate - I've emailed them and Thrifty tonight. It feels like ages away, but it's really not, so I need to get a shift on. Cheers for the heads up.

Re the offer of help, I might take you up on the offer - my plan though is to head down the Monday immediately after St Andrews and hang around for a day or two. BUT if I struggle to get a van I might have to look at using a larger car and doing a couple of runs.

Martyn said:
Cheers mate - I've emailed them and Thrifty tonight. It feels like ages away, but it's really not, so I need to get a shift on. Cheers for the heads up.

Re the offer of help, I might take you up on the offer - my plan though is to head down the Monday immediately after St Andrews and hang around for a day or two. BUT if I struggle to get a van I might have to look at using a larger car and doing a couple of runs.

No probs, lemme know whenever - at the moment that week's free for me. From memory, it's all about the Tetris like packing - something I've always failed on in my numerous moves, requiring a number of trips back and forth. Especially fun on the last one which kept going till around 3am :laugh:

There's also Boulevard Self Drive based in Glasgow that a few mates have used over the years. Not sure about the quality of service/vans nor payment/deposit and so forth but the rates mentioned on site seem competitive... http://www.boulevardselfdrive.co.uk/

One way hire is your friend.

Get down cheapest way possible, hire down there and return back to glasgow drop off be cheaper thab driving a van to oxford.

Try easyjets vans

We hired a van from A.K rental when a friend moved back to Ayrshire from Rotterdam. Good vans, I seem to remember them taking debit cards, and overall no hassle from beginning to end. Mind you it probably helped it's my friend's cousin who owns the company :)

Also agree with Rob about the art of packing. We had a minor panic at customs in Newcastle when it looked like they wanted to check out what we were taking into the country - not because we were smuggling illegal immigrants or owt but because we'd no idea how we got it all in first time and knew we didn't have a hope in hell of managing it again :laugh:

Martyn said:
Positive responses from AK and from Thrifty. Seems I CAN book a thrifty van with debit card only. Which would make the situ a million times easier :D

Good stuff :)

Always used to hate that about Enterprise as I've never had a credit card and don't intend on getting one - always used to have to get my Dad to foot the (temp) bill, though him having the same name as me did help matters. For once :laugh:

Ha yeh I can imagine. I've heard of folk paying for van rental on someone elses behalf but also aware it's a sticky issue sometimes.

BTW Offer of help - maybe utilise at the Glasgow end if thats ok? Looking to hire a Luton and pack it with years of possessions. My cousins on about getting a first floor flat so yeh, we'll probably take you up on that offer :)

Martyn said:
Ha yeh I can imagine. I've heard of folk paying for van rental on someone elses behalf but also aware it's a sticky issue sometimes.

BTW Offer of help - maybe utilise at the Glasgow end if thats ok? Looking to hire a Luton and pack it with years of possessions. My cousins on about getting a first floor flat so yeh, we'll probably take you up on that offer :)

Sure, no probs. As said, just lemme know when you know further details and I'll do my best to make myself available :)

Back