Technical USA giardiniera engine

Currently reading:
Technical USA giardiniera engine

ride106

Hi folks, I will soon have a complete engine from a '72 Giardiniera available, as I am converting the car to an EV. The engine condition is good - nobody will confuse this with concours quality - but it runs and drives perfectly fine, and starts reliably. I acquired the car earlier this year with basically zero paperwork, so detailed history is unknown. The odometer is about 8000 km but that's probably rolled over once. If anyone is seeking a replacement engine, or some key parts, feel free to reach out.

Hey Ride, curious if you're buying a kit to convert it or if you're doing it yourself?

No kit exists, unfortunately, especially for the giardiniera. I do know that Electric Classic Cars in the UK offers one for the standard 500 but they don't sell directly to individuals. I remember Icon 4x4 converted a giardy in CA a few years ago, and I found someone on instagram converting one DIY based in Canada. Most of the parts you need can be purchased without too much hassle, but figuring out what items are compatible took me a while. Then there's the challenge of designing the couplers from motor-flywheel and motor-bellhousing and getting them fabricated. I'll post more information when I get deeper into the build, right now I am still collecting parts and bench testing.

Ohh ok, not who i was thinking of. Neat regardless. Unfortunately on the other side of the country to me.

On a side note. Again i can be of assistance if your planning to do diy. However, there is a massive range of options that tie into a massive budget range.

Theres basic (DC drive motor), intermediate (entry level AC drive), then ultimate (modern ev drivetrain units). which would absoulety fling the fiat around like a racecar lol.

Thanks and would love to pick your brain sometime! Not to completely hijack this thread topic but I am going with probably an "intermediate" system as you describe... trying to keep with the original character of the car (and not turn the gearbox into dust). I also am keeping the clutch as an added bit of safety and convenience. I'm going with a ME1616 motor, about 20kW average, battery pack will be about 10 kWh. Same basic setup that is used in the Citroen "2CeV" conversion in the UK. I'm using LiFePO4 batteries because I don't trust myself with old tesla modules should they have a thermal runaway event due to my own poor wiring, etc. Actually that is why I went with the giardiniera, for the improved trunk space. If my calcs are right I should be able to do everything in 3rd or 4th gear except for big hills. Overall goal is to make this a useable and fun car, but avoid the rats nest of wiring that you tend to see on quicker DIY projects and try for a professional fit and finish.

Looks like a decent choice for a motor. Cant believe how much the price on those things have dropped in the past few years.
If you plan to go with a curtis controller. I have the software. (it used to be unattainable back in the day). Ill have to do more research on those motors, might want one for a future project. I have a Curtis 1239 on the shelf waiting for something..

For those wanting some crazy power. Its fresh on the market, im sure folks are already beginning to reverse engineer the kit to use standalone. But you can literally order a front drive ford mach-e drive motor upgrade. Unit has 210kw, and is a full differential unit also. Cant wait to see how this evolves, because this tied with a suitable HV controller, would make for a awesome drop in motor package for larger cars/vintage, etc.

There are a few teardown videos on the net already showing the guts.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a cool time with pretty wide parts availability these days. Mostly I've only seen leaf motors and the occasional brave soul who drops in a tesla rear drive unit and hacks it with OpenInverter. I am using a Curtis 1238 I got from ThunderstruckEV with the motor as a package - there should be some basic software loaded on. Supposedly they've programmed the motor to the controller, but I haven't bench tested yet to double check that. I did buy a handheld programmer to adjust settings but didn't explore the idea of full software loading. I'll send you a PM.

Bumping this up for any interested parties - my old engine is out, in a crate, and ready to be shipped. Not the most beautiful specimen, to be sure, but functional. Some pictures and running videos: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0xGWBC59GefKiS

$1000 obo. Would include everything ICE related - fuel tank, starter motor, ignition coil, and voltage regulator. I can ship using LTL freight (generally pretty reasonable if you are able to pick it up at a local terminal). Crate measures about 30"L x 24"W x 20" tall.

Edit: would also entertain reasonable requests for specific parts.

Bumping this to see there is any renewed interest? I would just like to avoid scrapping it but also get it out of the house, so if anyone would like it, it’s yours if you cover the shipping. In a crate and ready to go. If you are able to pick up at a freight terminal, it should be $250-500 depending where you live with LTL rates.

Will probably keep this around until the end of the year and then scrap it if I get no takers. Opportunity knocks!

Back