Technical Uno: Knocking Noise when going round left hand bend (going well for me isn't it!!!)

Currently reading:
Technical Uno: Knocking Noise when going round left hand bend (going well for me isn't it!!!)

paz

Hello everyone, and welcome to my second post of the day :eek: :D

I'm not overly technical, but from other stuff I've read in the past I'm thinking I may have guessed the answer.

When turning round bends at any speed, I get a knocking noise from the front right hand wheel. I'm guessing track rod end?

Also the wheel wobbles ever so slightly when driving if that gives any more clues?

Cheers

Paz

Re: Uno: Knocking Noise when going round left hand bend (going well for me isn't it!!!)

Hi,
It is unlikely to the the track-rod end gone, but it is a possibility.

If it is coming from one corner if more likely to be a CV joint gone or wheel bearing gone.

Also check that the wheel is done up tightly, ie properly torqued up to the right setting, and then check it again after a drive when the wheels get warm. I have lost wheel bolts on events before due to them becoming loose, it is a known problem on Fiats.

Cheers

Re: Uno: Knocking Noise when going round left hand bend (going well for me isn't it!!!)

Will give it a go, cheers buddy :)

Paz

If the wheel is loose, then you can get knocking from the wheel moving about on the hub. If the nuts are are tight and the wheel still wobbles, then the wheel itself is warped and needs to be changed - dangerous to drive with a warped wheel!

If the wheel nuts are tight, try driving the car on full lock in a car park at low speeds. A knocking noise here normally suggests the outer CV joint on the driveshaft has worn.

Have a look at the driveshaft outer gaitor and see if it is split. If it is, you'll have lost the grease that keeps it lubricated and will accelerate wear. Sometimes you can get away with cleaning it, repacking with grease and fitting a new gaitor.

Hope you get it sorted!

Chas

Cheers chas :) will have a look in more detail this weekend.

Paz

I'd say your bearing is shot. If so, it may be worth getting a garage to remove and insert the new bearing, so you don't damage the new one. The rest you can do yourself. I got a garage to do mine, when the front bearings dried up.

Morten.

Aren't unos simply amazing? It's like a hobby a car and a mortgage all rolled into one!:rolleyes:

SilentPartner said:
Aren't unos simply amazing? It's like a hobby a car and a mortgage all rolled into one!:rolleyes:

They're a nightmare, bought mine just to get me around for a few months while my other car is garaged and it couldn't even do that :( :rolleyes: :D

Paz

Yeah, but you can't help but love em.

paz said:
They're a nightmare, bought mine just to get me around for a few months while my other car is garaged and it couldn't even do that :( :rolleyes: :D

Paz

I'm sure it probably can - you just need to ignore the knocking noise and get used to the wobble :)

-Alex

Back