Technical Uno cutting out

Currently reading:
Technical Uno cutting out

UnoMia

My Uno 1100 developed a problem today. It's been running perfectly, starting first time, every time. Suddenly when I got back in her at the shops she wouldn't start. I checked the usual things, fuel & spark and found there was no spark. I pulled the connector appart that goes to the distributor module and reconnected it and she started instantly. I thought that it must have been a bad connection as she started fine all afternoon after that. However on the way home and in slow moving, heavy traffic she just cut out, leaving me stranded on the road side :mad: I checked for spark again and there was nothing. After waiting for an AA tow truck for half an hour, she suddenly started again! I drove about 4km down the road and she died again. Once again, no spark. I waited another half hour or so and she restarted, I managed to make it home that time!
My question is: has anyone experienced this before with their Uno? I think it may be the electronic module on the distributor. I replaced it about four years ago with a genuine Fiat part but could it have gone again? I hear that these do go from time to time.
Any idea's on this problem would be greatly appreacited. I don't mind buying a new module but I don't want to buy it if it's something else causing this!
Thanks.

Have you change the distributor cap recently? If it has a hairline crack in it it will open when the engine warms up thus causing it to cut out. Try this before buying a module as it will be cheaper. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I've got a spare cap somewhere, so I'll give that a try first.

i would recomend to also check the rotor, everywhere i read people replace just the cap but the rotor of the distribudor also needs replacements from time to time ;) it's werry cheap and easy to replace.

Thanks for your replies! I tried both sugestions but found it was the ignition module. I bought a new one from Fiat and also replaced the sensor inside the distributor while I was at it. The car run great again!

Back