Technical Uno 45

Currently reading:
Technical Uno 45

NDR008

Hi guys, I'm from the UK (just moved here Spet'06), I've been moding cars for quite a while, Back in Malta I have a Corolla, with a Toyota Starlet GT Engine (1.3L DOHC 16v, Turbo), with fmic, lightened flywheel, decat, exhaust, intake, silicon+gold plated HT leads, Celica fuel pump bla bla.

Anyway, back to my current situation. I must be frank, I was going to buy some Jap car. But as I have only been in the UK for less than a year - insurance quotes are crazy for the time being (oh, I'm 21 by the way).

And FIAT is one my secondary prefered car makes. I am looked at UNO 45s (or similar low insurance group UNOs). For a couple of reasons:
a) They themselves are cheap.
b) They are decent cars.
c) CHEAP to insure (relatively).
d) Parts are cheap and easy to get hold from Malta (we have a few Uno Turbos that are heavily moded too).

However I have this ilness..... I can't leave anything stock :p Even when i had '71 Subaru 700 (2 cylinder 700c for a few months while I was waiting for a new gearbox to arrive on my corolla), I ended up moding it a bit.

I have in mind for the UNO to be no different.

(Oh i studied 2 years of 4 - BEng Mechanical Engineering, and am now studying BEng Motorsports Engineering - hence why the change of country).

Questions:
1) How much could I shave off the head for power? :devil:
2) What cams should I try find for better top end torque.
3) Any special things to look out for if I port/polish the head?
4) Anything in particular to look out for when I go to buy one. (Like specific models to look for, or year of manufacture, etc.)

All help/comments appreciated. Oh please - don't tell me to get the UNO turbo, I would love to but can't. Maybe after a year of being insured in the UK - if I fall in love with FIAT and UNOs, I might get one - but not for now. So any mods I do must be to the low spec ones :(

And I will only do mods that show - head work cams. At most eventually an exhaust system, but only after seeing what the insurance people say.

Cheers - and sorry for the long post - had to be an intro too :p

Back