Technical Ulysse 2.2

Currently reading:
Technical Ulysse 2.2

andymanmoel

Hello all!
I have been searching the forum for the past couple of hours but have not come across the problem that my car has!
I went to start it today but it started and cut out right away. It seems like the priming pump in the tank is not working. Called the RAC to look at it and after first telling me the pump was knackered he now tells me my crank sensor is knackered!
What would stop the pump priming? It is a daily user so I am lost now!
Done all the usual checks like fuse box etc.
Is there a fuel relay I can fool just to prove the pump is ok???
All help appreciated
Andrew

Sounds horribly familiar !
First it will have to be plugged in for a diagnostic check.
Work from there !
Tread carefully as when mine stopped diagnostic said fuel pump and so was replaced at a cost then it stopped next day, turned out my fuel guage was telling me fibs and I was just running out of fuel !
May be worth popping 5 litres in just to check
Good luck

Usually, when you turn on the ignition key you can hear the pump in the fuel tank operate for a short period.

Perhaps, you could disconnect the hose from the tank which goes into the fuel filter and put it into an empty plastic bottle. Get an assistant to turn on the ignition briefly to check that you are getting fuel flowing from the tank.

Hello,
Thanks for the ideas! I have un plugged the pump in the tank and got the mrs to turn the key on. There is no supply to the pump. I am not getting any engine management lights it just will not fire! Had the feed pipe off the filter housing and still no fuel! Is there a relay that supplies the pump? Looks like on the pocket mechanic electrical schematics but there is no reference to where to find it!!!
Again thanks
Andrew

Hi

I believe fuse F2 (15A) in the engine compartment fuse box (the one near the windscreen washer reservoir) is for the fuel pump. It is near the middle (grey) connector. The electrical supply to the pump is on pin 11 of the PP2 (grey) connector.

It might be an idea to rig a temporary 12V supply direct from the battery (via a 15A fuse) to the pump in your tank to check that it works OK. This may help you to pinpoint the fault, or even enable you to start your engine.

Well I think I have made some progress! Got a mate to read the codes from the ecu and had the following, preheater system fault (been on since last year when I had the dpf system re filled) waste gate solonoid open circuit or closed circuit to earth, egr valve solonoid open circuit or closed circuit to earth. Further investigation shows that the egr valve, turbo system and fuel pump are fed from the same fuse! Fuse is ok though!
Is there a separate ecu feeding these?
It's going to fiat tomorrow but would like some idea of what's wrong before the usual 4k bill starts comming!
Andrew

Update!
Armed with my pin to push into terminal 11 I headed out to the car. I had the battery on charge all last night so re connected it and waited for the immobiliser warning to disappear.
Put the key in the ignition and heard the low pressure pump fire up. Turned the key and she fired up! Left it run for 5 mins and no probs so decided to read the codes again. Knocked it off, plugged in code reader and the egr and turbo warning was back. Tried to start it again and just kept turning over. Sorted pin 11 to the live bolt (starting to wish it would catch fire now) and it fired up again, remove link and she stopped.
Decided then to strip the fuse box down. Even though the box was bone dry and spotlessly clean I found that fuse no4 and fuse no9 even though they were ok when tested across the top when pulled out had white powdery corrosion on the terminals! No4 is keyed service power supply for main ecu!!!
Quick squirt with wr40 and a bit of a bend on the terminals and its running like a dream again. Code reader confirms that all is ok as the turbo and egr codes have stayed off.
Just goes to show that just testing the fuses ain't good enough on these cars!
Goin to order a new fuse box tomorrow!
Thanks to all who have helped!
Andrew

Glad to hear you have sorted your problem. Intermittent electrical problems can be difficult and time consuming to locate so I guess you have saved quite a lot on garage labour costs by fixing it yourself.

Been driving it around today and haven't missed a beat! Ordered the new fuse box today from fiat, cost £139.07! Could have been a lot more if I had not fixed it!! Thanks again for the help.
Andrew

Back