General Ultrasonic cleaner

Currently reading:
General Ultrasonic cleaner

Hi to all,
Its been awhile since I was here last, but good to get back.
The details. I bought a 6 Litre ultra sonic cleaner last week, I plan using it when coming to cleaner the diesel injectors.
I have a Fiat Doblo 2006 1.3 diesel WAV. Have it now a good few years and still going strong.
My question, is there any particular solution which would clean the injectors the best.
I've seen suggestions from petrol, washing powder, degreaser, sea foam ( which in Ireland I don't think is available ).
To Coca Cola, bleach, oven cleaner wrapped up in tinfoil, the list goes on. There are plenty of products to put in your tank to clean the the fuel system,but my request little more specific.
I have not tried anything yet, was looking for someone who knows from experience what will do the job best.
Its an unusual request I know, but no doubt someone out there has had this issue.
A point in the right direction would be of great help.
Thanks a million for looking at this thread.
John.

Last edited:
Hi to all,
Its been awhile since I was here last, but good to get back.
The details. I bought a 6 Litre ultra sonic cleaner last week, I plan using it when coming to cleaner the diesel injectors.
I have a Fiat Doblo 2006 1.3 diesel WAV. Have it now a good few years and still going strong.
My question, is there any particular solution which would clean the injectors the best.
I've seen suggestions from petrol, washing powder, degreaser, sea foam ( which in Ireland I don't think is available ).
To Coca Cola, bleach, oven cleaner wrapped up in tinfoil, the list goes on. There are plenty of products to put in your tank to clean the the fuel system,but my request little more specific.
I have not tried anything yet, was looking for someone who knows from experience what will do the job best.
Its an unusual request I know, but no doubt someone out there has had this issue.
A point in the right direction would be of great help.
Thanks a million for looking at this thread.
John.
I use this for Bosch diesel injectors with really hot water, don't lose the ceramic ball valves. Soak in diesel afterwards to prevent rust.
I got spares from Darwen Diesels

Attachments

• DSCF0695.JPG
    DSCF0695.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0692.JPG
    DSCF0692.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi bugsymike,
I appreciate such a quick reply. Don't worry the ball valves are so small, thankfully I wear glasses and a magnfying at hand. The magnifying is for us 70 year olds. I'm based in Ireland, (originally london born) I searched for the product you show in your picture, but no luck at the moment. And getting it shipped over from the UK will cost a small fortune. I see from the same picture that Sonixlab is an alcalin base product. Non acidic I assume. Since writing this reply only an hour ago, I popped into a mechanic I know well, and mentioned my issue. Straight away he said "I have the stuff for you."It was a 20 gallon container with AutoSmart written on the side. We use this all the time on injectors, egr valves, anything that needs cleaning, this is the stuff he said. I had a spare 2 litre container in my car and he filled it up.........at no cost, which I was willing to pay no problem. He gave me 2 words of warning...........wear gloves at all times, don't let it on your skin, and wash with plenty of water afterwards.
It sounds like an acidic product to me, might be wrong, but they swear by it. They do dilute it by 10%, but if in a hurry they make it a stronger concentrate.
I'm curious though, he cleans both allow materials such as egr valves alloy, and injector parts metal, is that safe? Checking on the internet, I see its not recommended to acidic on but quiet alright on metal.
As it turns out we have AutoSmart stores here in Ireland, for me 60 miles away, o my next step is to contact them tomorrow to get the info on the proper product for this application I'm about to start.
I see a product call AutoSmart G101 all purpose cleaner with Sodium hydroxide, I believe to be acidic based. Autosmart is UK based.
Are you aware of this seller, and by chance have you come across this product bugsymike.
Its all new to me, I'm going to have to go on a course in chemistry.
From your thread, you use an alcalin base product and its safe to say you get good results. When chatting to the AutoSmart rep I'll ask about the alcalin alternative.
I'll post the outcome as soon as I get the information.
Chat you soon.
Again thanks bugsymike for your helping hand and thread.
John.

Hi bugsymike,
I appreciate such a quick reply. Don't worry the ball valves are so small, thankfully I wear glasses and a magnfying at hand. The magnifying is for us 70 year olds. I'm based in Ireland, (originally london born) I searched for the product you show in your picture, but no luck at the moment. And getting it shipped over from the UK will cost a small fortune. I see from the same picture that Sonixlab is an alcalin base product. Non acidic I assume. Since writing this reply only an hour ago, I popped into a mechanic I know well, and mentioned my issue. Straight away he said "I have the stuff for you."It was a 20 gallon container with AutoSmart written on the side. We use this all the time on injectors, egr valves, anything that needs cleaning, this is the stuff he said. I had a spare 2 litre container in my car and he filled it up.........at no cost, which I was willing to pay no problem. He gave me 2 words of warning...........wear gloves at all times, don't let it on your skin, and wash with plenty of water afterwards.
It sounds like an acidic product to me, might be wrong, but they swear by it. They do dilute it by 10%, but if in a hurry they make it a stronger concentrate.
I'm curious though, he cleans both allow materials such as egr valves alloy, and injector parts metal, is that safe? Checking on the internet, I see its not recommended to acidic on but quiet alright on metal.
As it turns out we have AutoSmart stores here in Ireland, for me 60 miles away, o my next step is to contact them tomorrow to get the info on the proper product for this application I'm about to start.
I see a product call AutoSmart G101 all purpose cleaner with Sodium hydroxide, I believe to be acidic based. Autosmart is UK based.
Are you aware of this seller, and by chance have you come across this product bugsymike.
Its all new to me, I'm going to have to go on a course in chemistry.
From your thread, you use an alcalin base product and its safe to say you get good results. When chatting to the AutoSmart rep I'll ask about the alcalin alternative.
I'll post the outcome as soon as I get the information.
Chat you soon.
Again thanks bugsymike for your helping hand and thread.
John.
Sounds like one of the strong car washing degreasing products like I used to use in my steam cleaner. The stuff I used wasn't cheap but you didn't need gloves to handle it.
Sodium Hydroxide was a strong weedkiller in the past that got banned I think for general use.
I suppose if it works and you rinse well afterwards then leave soaked in diesel it should be fine.
I suffer from the eyesight close up same as you, still breathing so can't complain:).
When I had rebuilt my injectors, I had an old diesel "pop off" tester that would reach around the pressure for the older injectors but no where near common rail pressure, but what I used to do was test the Bosch electronic ones at the max the old tester would go, then "flash" across the terminals with a 24 volt starter pack which would trigger the solenoid so I could check the spray pattern, a bit basic but it worked ;).

The latest news. I contacted Autosmart today main office in Dublin. The boss said that they have delivery agents servicing the whole of Ireland.
He's going to contact the agent for my area, and when he's next in the area he'll give me a ring. So I'm waiting until he's in touch. I thought sodium hydroxide was powerful , as you mentioned bugsymike. I don't have the pop off you talked about, I just test the spray pattern by spraying down the nozzle head with the needle removed and see have I got the 6 spray holes on the nozzle head. I use carb cleaner to do this. Would you recommend the pop off tester, being more accurate an advised purchase or not? To be honest, I never gave the tester a thought. You talked about starting the injector solenoid with a 24 v starter pack, I only have 12v batteries here, would that be sufficient enough or not. When I seen 24 volts, I skipped a beat for a moment, I just assumed you'd use 12 volt supply. If you regard you testing injectors system "basic", mine must be ...........Prehistoric!!!
Still we have to start somewhere, God loves a trier............................................ its a great description for me!.........................I'm old school.
That's how everything stands at the moment, but as soon as I get more news, I'll let you all know here the outcome.
John.

The latest news. I contacted Autosmart today main office in Dublin. The boss said that they have delivery agents servicing the whole of Ireland.
He's going to contact the agent for my area, and when he's next in the area he'll give me a ring. So I'm waiting until he's in touch. I thought sodium hydroxide was powerful , as you mentioned bugsymike. I don't have the pop off you talked about, I just test the spray pattern by spraying down the nozzle head with the needle removed and see have I got the 6 spray holes on the nozzle head. I use carb cleaner to do this. Would you recommend the pop off tester, being more accurate an advised purchase or not? To be honest, I never gave the tester a thought. You talked about starting the injector solenoid with a 24 v starter pack, I only have 12v batteries here, would that be sufficient enough or not. When I seen 24 volts, I skipped a beat for a moment, I just assumed you'd use 12 volt supply. If you regard you testing injectors system "basic", mine must be ...........Prehistoric!!!
Still we have to start somewhere, God loves a trier............................................ its a great description for me!.........................I'm old school.
That's how everything stands at the moment, but as soon as I get more news, I'll let you all know here the outcome.
John.
Something like this on eBay is what I used eBay item number:203644403279 at 600 Bar pressure and checked no leaks, then I made up a couple of leads to fit the solenoid terminals on the Bosch injectors and connected on to the battery starter pack and just splashed/sparked the other lead across the terminal to trigger the solenoid and check the spray pattern. Don't hold the wires on as it may damage the solenoid. You could try 12 volts , I think I read 24 volts was better. I have a truck 24 volt starter pack handy.
Another don't, is don't get in the way of the spray pattern if doing this as even 600Bar is nearly 9000psi and it will go through your skin very easily to put you in hospital!!! Modern common rail diesels run much higher pressures than that!
Re old school I started in the late 1960s;)

Hi bugsymike, Thanks for the heads up on do's and don't testing injectors with a tester.
No word from the autosmart agent yet.
Re old school. They should give us a title................................Old School United!!!
I'd say between us and guys are age, we could fill a few Haynes manuals with our knowledge.
Chat soon.
John.

Hi bugsymike, Thanks for the heads up on do's and don't testing injectors with a tester.
No word from the autosmart agent yet.
Re old school. They should give us a title................................Old School United!!!
I'd say between us and guys are age, we could fill a few Haynes manuals with our knowledge.
Chat soon.
John.
Assuming the"Old Timers Disease" hasn't made us forget it all;)

Still no word from the autosmart yet.
Referring back to the ultrasonic cleaner for a moment, do users empty the contents of cleaning solution along with water, then go about cleaning the parts.
I was thinking about this, and I thought, what about emptying the parts needed cleaning into a glass container along with a richer solution mix with a sealed lid, then submerging the glass container into the ultrasonic cleaner, which is filled with water? The solution is closer to the parts, less volume used, the water in the ultrasonic cleaner never gets contaminated by the solution mix, and would I think it works quicker. Its just an idea I was thinking about.
This way you can always guarantee a correct ratio. I picked glass, because plastic might react with the cleaning solution. Bigger parts would require larger containers. I plan giving it go in the next day or two, and let you know of the outcome.
John.

Still no word from the autosmart yet.
Referring back to the ultrasonic cleaner for a moment, do users empty the contents of cleaning solution along with water, then go about cleaning the parts.
I was thinking about this, and I thought, what about emptying the parts needed cleaning into a glass container along with a richer solution mix with a sealed lid, then submerging the glass container into the ultrasonic cleaner, which is filled with water? The solution is closer to the parts, less volume used, the water in the ultrasonic cleaner never gets contaminated by the solution mix, and would I think it works quicker. Its just an idea I was thinking about.
This way you can always guarantee a correct ratio. I picked glass, because plastic might react with the cleaning solution. Bigger parts would require larger containers. I plan giving it go in the next day or two, and let you know of the outcome.
John.
Generally I reuse the solution a few times and as it in a gauze tray all the dirt falls to bottom of tank away from the parts you are cleaning. I put an old tea strainer wired to the side for smaller parts. If in a glass jar it means the parts are dancing in their own muck.
I found as long as the water was hot and the mix of solution was about correct then it did the job fine.
The TEK 34 stuff wasn't cheap but seemed to do the job well.

"dancing in their own muck." A good point you raise, but you could wash the parts in water to clean them. I'll see how I get on. I see you mentioned TEK 34
solution, is it readily available?
John.

"dancing in their own muck." A good point you raise, but you could wash the parts in water to clean them. I'll see how I get on. I see you mentioned TEK 34
solution, is it readily available?
John.
Just did a quick search on eBay and it is not as readily available as before , so may be something similar will have to do.

Back